John Deere vs. Hustler

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Samdoesitall, Mar 13, 2007.

1. Samdoesitall

Samdoesitall LawnSite Member

Hey all,
    I've been mowing with a John Deere 757 for 5 years now and love it.
    But now I have to buy another mower due to a restructuring in our business.
    The choice is between a John Deere 757 60in or a Super Z Hustler 60 inch. (54 inch deck would work also)

I've heard a lot about the Hustlers and was wondering if anybody has tried them both. The main concern is the deck. How does the Hustler cut? In wet grass? Clumps?

I have no complaints about Deere. But I don't know if Im missing out on an even better thing :)

2. lawnman757

lawnman757 LawnSite Member
    from MD

If your dealer support is good that is a toss up. I have the same mower and purchased a Hustler 26 kaw. / 60" deck last year. Hustler has outstanding support, as I was unhappy with the performace of the mower and they made me an offer at the end of the year to upgrade that i could not turn down. The deere will cut wet grass better then anything I've ever used, along with strong power on hills and never seems to bog down (no matter what). This might be why I was disappointed in the first Hustler. On the other hand the Hustler is more comfortable and faster. Like stated earlier in this post, I cannot beat my dealers support. Deere on the hand lacks the customer support needed to keep you stay reliable if a problem occurs. Just my opinion.

3. Samdoesitall

Thanks man. I am a Deere guy at heart but I am willing to listen.
    Any other input? Or does John Deere win?
  4. LCPullman

LCPullman LawnSite Senior Member

If you are satisfied with what you have, stick with it and buy another John Deere.

Hustler makes a good product and has excellent support, but I'd have to recommend sticking with what your used to. You know its going to work for you.
  5. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Somebody is sure to go into cardiac arrest over this... BUT I AGREE

If you want to try a Hustler, I encourage it.
    Demo one long and hard... then decide.

I really like Hustler as a company and I think their stuff is well built.
    But their cut seems to be hit-and-miss with users across the country.
    And likewise, the end user satisfaction with the SUPER version.

I myself do not see a need for 15 mph transport speeds.
    I'd rather have lower gearing and less load on the engine for the other 99% of the time.
  6. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I agree 100% with Envy. The 15 mph Super Z is starved for power. The regular Z would be the better choice in most areas (with the exception of flat terrain).
  7. Samdoesitall

Thanks guys, I think I will be stickin with JD. I do not have the time to demo a Hustler...maybe someday. Anybody got a 757 for sale? :)
  8. Mike Royce

Mike Royce LawnSite Member

I like my 757's as well. But I don't think they cut well in wet grass. I might try a Toro with the Turbo Force deck next. But the Toro's have an offset deck, which I don't like. The JD's are more centered. But in general, I like my 757's. Very little problems. And I noticed also, I have yet to bog the 25 HP engine down, no matter what I put them through. Except once when we were cutting grass that was higher than the entire mower! But even then, they worked realy good. We have striping rollers on both units and they give us a really good looking cut. The new 757 has the 7 Iron II deck and that seems to collect grass better than the old one. Demo a new one with the 7 Iron II deck, you might like it more that your current 757.
  9. Loy's Home Services  LLC

Loy's Home Services LLC LawnSite Member

I have a 757 and a 797. Love them both. The only thing wrong with them is they don't run themselves.