John Deere X300

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by JimmyStew, May 23, 2007.

1. JimmyStew

JimmyStew LawnSite Senior Member

Any here run a John Deere X300 Select. I'm looking at one with a 42" mulch deck. It's only 17hp which has me a bit worried that it might not be enough power to run a mulching deck.

2. dmanb2b

dmanb2b LawnSite Member

my residential mower is a lx280 with 48inch deck 17hp kawi...no issues whatsoever, plus I run the powerflo bagger attachment with basically adds a 4th spindle...the kawi 2cyl is pretty stong on the bottem end vs a 17hp 1cyl briggs and quiet might I add

3. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

You are talking about the Freedom 42 deck right?

If so, I think you will be fine. I've seen 15hp run one.
    Those types of machines have drive systems that consume less power than dual ZTR drives and the max ground speed is lower.

By the way, that Freedom 42 performs impressively.
    A sub of mine uses them instead of small walkbehinds and does a great job for me.
    His tractors are the older LT series hydros.

4. JimmyStew

No, actually it is The EDGE Mulch Deck. I talked to my local dealer today and aparently what it is, is a regular 42" deck except that there is no opening for the shute. He also told me that unless I'm planning to use it to mow a golf course (i.e. flat land, mowed every other day) I should get a regular 42" deck and the conversion kit that allows me to cover the shoot. This way I have a regular deck, mulching deck and a bagging deck.

5. Envy Lawn Service

If you are going to get the side discharge deck, step on up to a unit with the 48" deck at least.

6. Midwest Lawn Services

Midwest Lawn Services LawnSite Member

My father has been a JD consumer products mechanic for 25+ years, and he reccommends the 48C and 54C decks. He says they are the best built. I would try and find something like a 48C or a 54C.

7. Envy Lawn Service

Yep... that's true.

I'm just not a fan of the 42C deck.
    I got one on a Deere LX to use for squeezing through chain link walk gates.

It just wasn't a performer. I put it in the shed at home and took out the Murray Select 42" I had for that to squeeze in the gates. Not nearly the fit and finish on that machine.... but the cutting performance, productivity and ease of operation was a lot better.

I ordered the 48C deck for it, which the Deere LX came stock with... but didn't turn out to have the power to run it in those days.

I sold it and bought another Murray Select. Shortly thereafter I retired the Deere GT also and it became my personal mower at home.

Sounds funny when I say it, but in the end, I bought two deeres to replace the murray I was using in the field and use it at home. Then I ended up buying a second murray so I could replace the two deeres I had in the field.

The real reason was none other than I could not get past all the freakin safety features the Deere's had. I couldn't get the same amount of work done with them. Primarily because of that REVERSE safety feature.

That feature didn't have a lockout, and I was not confident enough to try to bypass/override it at the time. So the decks would kick off the second you touched the reverse pedal.... Unless you took one hand and held the PTO button up the whole time you were backing up. What a PITA!!!!!!

Later on, it seems somebody told me they were able to remedy this by simply engaging the PTO button into the "full up" position and wedging a wooden clothespin under it.

I slapped myself in the forehead and then proceeded to become sick to my stomach over selling the Deere's... especially the GT.

Live and learn :cry:

8. JimmyStew

So a 2 cylinder V-Twin engine rated at 17hp has more power than a BS single cylinder also rated at 17hp? So what might be a reasonable comparison to the kawasaki 17hp in a briggs engine be.

9. dmanb2b

dmanb2b LawnSite Member

Ok...so just to clarify...my lx has a 18hp kawi, not 17...my bad. Either way a 17hp vtwin should be more than enough to run a 42inch mulching deck. My old 15hp crapsmen had an 15hp BS and it mulched well with sharp blades.

I am not a mechanic in any way, but why would you feel that deere would put out an underpowered product?

So again just to clarify...I have a 18hp v-twin kawi, 48C deck which also powers the powerflo bagger...no problem mowing 6-8" long grass with morning dew...best advice, ask your dealer for a demo and you be the judge

10. Envy Lawn Service

Well, not more HP... but sometimes more working power... torque... from a twin.

A briggs engine that would be on-par with the 17 hp Kawi twin would be a 17 hp Briggs twin (harder to find now) or the 18hp Briggs twin. In fact, generally I find more umph from the Briggs engines. This is typically because they do a lot more mass production. So they will often built one engine... say 21hp and slap a different sticker on it, rating it anywhere from 21hp down to 17hp. I have one of those still, and it has a 17 sticker on it, but it's identical in every way to the 21. Same model number, same parts numbers.