John deere x748 ultimate tractor

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by CAT MAN, May 31, 2008.

1. CAT MAN

CAT MAN LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

When I get enough money I was thinking of getting one of these tractors with 4 wheel drive and 54" cutting deck instead of a 54" ZTR what do you guys think??
  2. unit40

unit40 LawnSite Member

CAT MAN,

Those machines are big bucks, but if you're smart about it, you can get a machine that will pay off sweetly. First you gotta know what you need, what you want, and what you realistically plan on doing for work. Do you need the 4x4 and a front loader ? They make a X749 which is AWD and AWS. I purchased the X744 AWS tractor for myself. I got the rear PTO, and the three-point hitch, a 62" mower deck, 14 bushel powerflow bagger, a quick-detach johnnybucket sr. with a toothbar and bucket doubler, as well as a Landpride spreader and a 3 1/2" PTO chipper. The diesel machines can easily handle the big deck, and the aws actually makes the tractor a maneuverability master when it comes to trimming around obstacles. Plus you can run the fert spreader or any, with limitations, three point hitch and pto powered equipment. Hook up the bucket and spread mulch, stone gravel , loam etc..... I slap on some killer v-bar tire chains for the winter to clear snow around the house, but someday I'll get either a front 47" blower or a rear PTO unit, just not sure yet though I'm leaning towards the rear unit so I can use the bucket too.Sure you will pay more than a ZTR but look what you're getting....Most grass gobblers out there need a ZTR and i think they would feel frowned upon driving a "lawn tractor'', but the X744 ain't no lawn tractor, it is in a class all by itself..Keep dreaming green n' yellow my man.
  3. doubleedge

doubleedge LawnSite Senior Member
    from ND

demo before you buy
  4. deereequipment

deereequipment LawnSite Senior Member

Find a used one.
    The x485 and x 475 are basically the same machine, but about half the price of a new machine.
    Why spend 10K when you can spend 5K for slightly used.

Riding machines are a bit slower than the zero turn, but they can go accross a wider range of terrain. They do better when the ground is soft from rain.

There's a place for each type of mower, but a riding mower will work in most places.
  5. Ducati996

Ducati996 LawnSite Member

Stick with a ZTR for speed and cut quality - if you want to go with a X748 or 749 they are the price of a sub-compact machine. Sub-compacts and above (2305) are much more versitile especially if using for dirt or mulch moving than a X700 series. The X700 series really wont help you in fast lawn cutting - even thought they are nice and cut nice too, just not nimble and fast like a ZTR.
  6. unit40

unit40 LawnSite Member

Although the X7xx series aren't as fast as a lot of ZTRs, how fast do you really mow? Everywhere I cut i must maintain a lesierly pace to prevent bouncing around and a smooth even cut. So a ZTR may travel at 12 or 15 mph but I wouldn't dare mow that fast anywhere. Haven't seen a property as smooth as a golf course. And the AWS X series can out maneuver a Z.
  7. Ducati996

I mow as fast as I can - 8 mph is possible with my Wright stander, and I do every chance I get. I know the AWS will not outrun a ZTR, and then of course there is tip speed which the X series wont touch. Garden tractors are nice and comfortable (have them too). Speed is king if your making $$ - I have the compact tractors, garden tractors, stand on ZTR, walk behinds.
    Just dont buy the wrong thing for your business - thats all
  8. CAT MAN

CAT MAN LawnSite Senior Member
    from PA

Well I was thinking I since Im into landscaping I could get one for the spreader for seeding lawns and bucket for mulch! and the 54" deck for my self at home
  9. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

I had a 595 a few yrs ago and really miss it at times! Go for it!
    Maybe look for one with the 7iron deck but the standard deck is still pretty good. Cuts great!
    They arent as quick as a ZTR over all but they can cut at 8mph from memory and really, how often do we cut flat out?
    While they probably can handle a 61" deck, I had a 54" and thought it a great match when things get longer and thicker!

If I was to look at buying another tractor now, it would probably be a 2304 or something similar. Better loader I think, but mainly would be able to run a small slasher (bush hog.)
  10. Ducati996

then go for the 2305 which comes with a 3pt standard - the FEL is more powerful and easy to detach (200cx -same unit on my 2520). The 2305 is much more versitile than the X748 in my opinon and dosent cost more, and has more hyrdaulic flow and lift ability