John Deere Z trak owners

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DLCS, Mar 7, 2006.

1. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

What brand of oil are you running in your hydro systems. I've always ran the JD Plus 50 15w-40 in all of mine but was thinking of switching to another 15w-40 oil. Do all of you run the JD oils? Also, who even makes a good 15w-40 oil?

2. Green King

Green King LawnSite Senior Member

Several manufactures use Mobil. I personally use Conklin Synthetic in my machines and have never had any problems! Another oil popular in this area is Petron Synthetic I have used there two cycle oil but not there regular oil. However there are several guys using it and seem to like it.

3. POPO4995

POPO4995 LawnSite Bronze Member

All John Deere fluids in my Deere's except for engine oil, thats Mobil 1. :usflag:

4. Tonyr

Tonyr LawnSite Bronze Member

Mike, be very, very careful putting any oil in ya J.D other than J.D oil, J.D gear is made, or visa versa to work best with their oil.

Why I know is.....when I first bought my other deere z trak a huge cane haulage tractor was in at the dealers.....getting a new ass! the mechanics were spewing, the owner started using a very popular very high quality aussie oil, same specs etc....but it buggered his hydro system.

I was lectured, never, ever use any oil other than deere oils in ya deere, especially the hydros.

So, I use J.D oil in engine and hydros.

Also, I've found deere blades work best on deere decks, been doing some experimenting.....and I like the deere blades, stay sharp a long time, wide....bit expensive, but hey, not like I buy a set a day lol.

Mike, you should see what I'm cutting with this 997 now, and you should see how well it does the jungles....damn these are good decks!

5. jpmako

jpmako LawnSite Senior Member

Mike,

I would probably stick with the JD Plus 50 15w-40 for the Hydro Systems.
    Changing to another fluid and not completely flushing the system is not a good idea. Mixing oils can do damage to seals, and that you don't want to do!

BTW do you happen to know what the intervals are for changing the fluid?

Jason

6. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I always change the oil and filters yearly. I believe thats what the manuals say too. I decided to just stick with the JD Plus, I paid around $66 for a 5 gallon pails, cheaper to buy by the pail. I'm sure other brands would work just as well but mixing 2 brands might not be that good. Since you can never get all the old oil out unless you break everything down and I will not do that.

7. Potomac Lawns Inc.

Potomac Lawns Inc. LawnSite Senior Member

Using deere fluid in mine also

8. deereman

deereman LawnSite Senior Member
    from USA

All Deere oils except, grease.

9. JTF40

JTF40 LawnSite Senior Member

If it is still under warranty, DO NOT use any other than JD fluids. :usflag:

10. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

This sort of thing is just a BIG RIPOFF that many MFG's take advantage of.
    Deere certainly is not the only one!

The reasons they do it and are sucessful at it are many.

First, they extort you into paying double for oil by making you feel uneasy about warranty coverage. They know most people will fall for it and buy it.

Second, if convienent they can use such things in an attempt to deny warranty claims even though they can't legally. But they know most people will just take it.

Look guys, John Deere does not refine oil and blend it to 'special' Deere specs to work best in there engines, drives, whatever. Heck, truth be known, Deere doesn't even MFG these parts in the first place!

Deere also is not a large enough volume oil seller to have the buying muscle to have specialty oils blended for their products. The fact is, they contract this crap out to the lowest bidder. Whoever wins the bid bottles it in little green John Deere bottles and ships it to them. So chances are, if anything you would be more likely to get a lesser quality of oil if anything. It's probably some cheap no-name stuff.

What you need to pay attention to is the MANUAL and warranty statement.
    Then select an oil that meets the requirements and specifications.

Anyways, all major brands make high quality 15w40 oil for less.

I do find it neat that JD selected 15w40. It's one of my favorites and I can tell you no one else specifies that grade in their hydros... but I have always wondered why not.

Hustler (10w40 + lubrizol) and JD (15w40) are the oddballs.
    Everyone else uses 15w50 synthetic or 20w50.