John Deere Z-Trax

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GCS LawnService, Apr 20, 2002.

1. GCS LawnService

GCS LawnService LawnSite Member

I have been shopping around and was wondering if anyone had invested in the new John Deere 757 Z-Trax. I am interested in the new mower and it seems to be very operator friendly. Looking to replace my John Deere M665 and I am definately impressed by the 25 hp Kawasaki.

2. longslawn

longslawn LawnSite Member

We bought one last month. The guys that operate it love it. Seems to have plenty of power. Still waiting on the grass catcher. I use John Deere mowers and have had great service with there products. I looked at and tried out a Exmark. The guys that use the JD felt that it was a stronger mower. So far so good.

3. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

GCS, Just wondering why you would be replacing the M665 already. They only came out about 3 years ago, as I bought one of the first ones avail. Is it worn out already? I dumped mine last year as it never performed well for me. Too many design flaws in my opinion, and I don't see much improvement in the new ones either.:(

4. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

mans entitled to his own.

5. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

John Deeres are ok if you don't mind the absence of stripes. IMHO, they don't stripe worth a lick and they don't spread the clippings out good with a chute on. Take it off and it might be different, i dunno. I do like the plastic chute though in case you hit something.

6. MWS LAWN

MWS LAWN LawnSite Member

BushHogBoy,

I beg to differ with you. I've been running a F-620 Z-TRAK for 4 seasons now. I have to tell my customers that the paint job is included in the price. The 60 in. deck stripes very good. I demoed a 48 in. w/b exmark last month and the J.D. striped just as well as the exmark. I do keep the plastic chute tied up though.

7. Tyner Lawn Service

Tyner Lawn Service LawnSite Senior Member

I bought a 620 new in '99 and in 2 seasons put over 800 hrs with no problems with a pretty good cut. Mowed 48 residentials a week with it!

8. dlandscaping

dlandscaping LawnSite Senior Member
    from mass

bushhogboy,
    IMHO, they don't stripe worth a lick and they don't spread the clippings out good with a chute on

No mower will disperse clippings well with the shoot down even Exmarks. The chute keeps the clippings in a line all in the same spot aiding to clumping.

9. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Bushhogboy,

I just got my new John Deere 757 Z-trak. I think the machine stripes great. Also, I don't leave the chute down when I mow. I haven't seen a mower yet that will not clump or disperse the clippings with chute down. I will post some pics of the stripes mine makes sometime in the near future.

Mike

10. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

I didn't mean that all JD's don't stripe, just the M655 with a 54" deck doesn't. I'm sure that some do stripe fine. I'd love to see some stripes made by them. I know that most mowers will clump, but some do not also. I didn't think that the cut quality was overly impressive either. I just didn't like it alot if you're going to do a good job. For just whacking the grass it's ok i guess.

"Different strokes for different folks"