John Deere Z830

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by NINER, May 10, 2008.

1. NINER

NINER LawnSite Member

We are getting our 820's replaced by 830's what can i expect? Do they have the power John Deere is saying they will have or not?

2. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

In a earlier post I took my 797 in to get repiared and dealer gave me a 830 to demo while mine was being fixed. 1 I had no power issuesthere was plenty of power as long as you can control it as the hydros are very very sensitiveand this is coming fro a 1000Plus hour Dixie user I could not get into this machine and get a good line going.All in all I cut 3 decent yards then they called to say my 797 was ready Well i packed up and was on my wayto get my baby I love the 7 series And the 8 series will be there someday but I will wait till then the 7series especially 757 have been workhorsed and give very few issues

3. NINER

NINER LawnSite Member

We had 8 757's for the past 3 years. first year was o.k. but the second and third was miserable. We had a head gasket blow on a mower almost every week. The 800 series is supposed to have that issue taken care of.Thats why we switched.

4. ProStreetCamaro

ProStreetCamaro LawnSite Platinum Member

Head gaskets blowing? I hate to tell you but JD didnt do and couldnt do anything about that problem even if they wanted to. Thats an engine issue not a mower issue. Sounds like your dealer doesnt know how to replace a head gasket properly if they keep blowing like that. Sounds as if you have some warped heads that need to be cleaned up and milled true again or else they will keep blowing head gaskets.

5. NINER

NINER LawnSite Member

It got to the point where the dealer would keep the heads in stock for us and just replace the head instead. All 8 had the same issue same side of engine every time. Engine block was always measured to see if it had warped or cracked.

6. ProStreetCamaro

Interesting issue. That doesnt say much about kawasaki engines does it? I am assuming they have kawis on them right? Thats all I have ever seen on JD commercial mowers.

7. NINER

NINER LawnSite Member

yea they are all kawis but after talking with jd and kawi reps and engineers they said the design of the mower with the engine they put in them was causing it to overheat. they sent us some new shrouds with doors you can unscrew and blow the debris out to help keep the fins clean for good air circulation but it didnt help.so jd tells me thats why they redigned them and came up with the 800 series with different kawis on them.

8. ProStreetCamaro

Thats interesting. I have never heard of anybody with that problem on the 700 series JD mowers. Learn something new every day!

9. Herrick

Herrick LawnSite Senior Member

What kind of deal did they give you trading from the 820 to the 830? Looking into doing the same thing.

10. HBLandscaping

HBLandscaping LawnSite Senior Member

NINER - What dealer are you using? I heard of a new place on Rt 15 between Lovettsville & Lucketsville. I haven't gotten over there yet but a buddy of mine has been a few times and has had nothing but good things to say. Im planning on getting over there this week. I talked to a guy from there a few weeks ago when I was at the Lawn & Garden show in leesburg, They had a tent with some equipment out and I got some info from them.