1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

John Deere Z930M EFI ?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing Equipment' started by neblawncare23, Feb 20, 2014.

1. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

Yes you can mulch & collect at the same time but I've never done it on grass only.I only use the collection system for leaves & debris. I mulch nice maintained lawns. Sometimes if the grass is unusally high I will discharge it then go back over it in the mulch mode with the deck a little higher and the clippings disapear. Keep in mind I am warm season turf.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  2. neblawncare23

neblawncare23 LawnSite Senior Member
    from Neb

So would you guys prefer the MOD deck or just the Pro deck with no MOD? I will be bagging 75% of time and mulching 25%. Is the MOD deck going to bag with out any clumping?

3. ArTurf

ArTurf LawnSite Gold Member
    Male, from Ark

If you are will be going back and forth the MOD would make sense vs taking a mulch kit on and off. I would think the MOD deck would bag fine based on doing leaves but like I said I don't collect grass. If it were unusually wet & tall it would probably clump as would any system.

4. Ridin' Green

Ridin' Green LawnSite Fanatic
    Male, from Michigan

I've owned both decks. The Pro deck is the better deck IMO/IME for overall cutting. It cuts cleaner than the MOD and has less blowout, but it's either a side discharge/bagging deck, or a mulch deck unless you want to be constantly taking a mulch kit out. There are times when the MOD is nice to have, but for me, the Pro deck is a much better deck. I will not buy another MOD deck ever. It is just a lot more fussy about how it is set up than the Pro deck. Ive played with dozens of blade and baffle position combos on all 3 different seasons of northern grass.

If most of your mowing is going to be bagging then I would get the Pro deck and save myself $800- $1K and apply some of that towards the mulch kit for fall leaves.