1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

John Deere Z's Blowing Pumps

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by puppypaws, Sep 13, 2006.

1. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I was told this afternoon that the largest town in my county is getting rid of every John Deere zero turn mower they own and have bought 7 new Hustler's because the pumps and wheel motors were going out faster than they could put them on. The little town next to it has a John Deere 777 with 125 hrs. on it and they have replaced the pump and both wheel motors, is anybody else seeing these problems with JD?
  2. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

There pump is now that integrated pair also...

I liked the looks of how it was set up on one small unit.
    But I also remember thinking "that would be expensive to repair"
  3. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

What's a wheel motor every 100 hrs or so when you have that great 7 iron II deck? Just a minor inconvenience. Are you saying it cost alot of green to run green?

Yes, I'm being a little sarcastic. I'm hearing good things about the 7 iron deck and now you hear this. I may go back to my 12.5 Murry. 11 years, two batterys,a belt and a set of blades.
  4. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

That's funny cause I have (11) eleven 2005 & 2006 JD ZTraks that range in hours from 1,000 to 160 and I haven't had ANY wheel motors or pumps go out, period. As a matter of fact the only thing on any of them is that 1 of the '06's had a clutch replaced and that was from a nake wire that wasn't taped completely at the factory that shorted the clutch and switch out.

Also the City of Greensboro runs almost nothing but Deere mowers and I know for a fact that are in the process right now of buying more JD Z's
  5. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

That is strange. When I questioned the fact that deere only uses one pump, the guy at the dealer told me they had yet to see one fail.
  6. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Probably an isolated case. Every brand has a lemon every now and then.
  7. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

I can also second that fact to back it up.

They have some of the 997 rear discharge units too... and I was physically sick in the pit of my stomach (on behalf of TonyR) while watching one work totally trouble free in really nasty conditions with nothing more than a dirty radiator screen.

His issue was something totally to do with his particular 997, which had nothing to do with the rear discharge deck... as I had said all along. Probably had the wrong cooling fan on the engine... or a different more aggressive style I should say... or that was something Deere has updated.
  8. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

Could it be one guy topped off the fluids in all the hydros?

Maybe all the Deere's were topped off with fuel in the hydro tank by Miguel, Juan, or even Bubba.
  9. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

This could very well be I am in the process of finding out what is actually going on. I am going to make a call tommorrow and as Paul Harvey say's " now the rest of the story ", I find this a little bit odd sounding myself.
  10. MNBOY

MNBOY LawnSite Member

I have the 657 and my pump went out at about 300 hours. Can't wait to get rid of my deere.