1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

John Deere ZTR Customer Service

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tacoma200, Feb 13, 2008.

1. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

I like the John Deere line. I have often wondered and heard others say that with all the large equipment that the John Deere dealer deals with the relatively inexpensive ZTR's may take a back seat to expensive tractors or other equipment. So my question is to all you John Deere owners:

How do you rate your John Deere service when it comes to ZTR's or other mowing equipment? Do you feel you get the same service you would at a strictly lawn care dealer?

I also noticed an add showing a John Deere Truck/Van for repairs on location. It was painted with pictures of lawn equipment. Anyone know anything about this service. I think I saw the add in one of the land Scape magazines.
  2. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

There are a lot of folks who have great service, in my area it is awful! Last time I took mower to dealer I bought it from could not even get waited on. Their machines however are fine machines and have been pleased with them. If/when I replace them I will have to go with another brand due to the awful service. I would rate the mower a 10 and service a 0.
  3. lawnprosteveo

lawnprosteveo LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Tulsa

I agree 100%. I have two Deere dealers in my town and they are both lousy at customer service.....I also have tried to do business with Deere's landscaping store...same results.
    Maybe its because Im the little guy. But I promise I will NEVER buy another Deere product...not because of the mower, but because of the service afterwards.
  4. corbster

corbster LawnSite Fanatic
    from OHIO

My Dealer is ...GREAT
    I bent a blade on my Z425 Res. (1 min mow time on the machine) and call them within 45min they had a 2 man team at my house replaced all 3 blades NO CHARGE. The Parts guy told me they would hide the cost behind error on them failing to adjust the deck.
    The deck was adjusted before delivery it was my dumb mistake. But also told me next time there will be a charge.
  5. puppypaws

puppypaws LawnSite Fanatic

I can see a dealer handling mowers and small tractors doing a decent job of taking care of LCO's but if it's a JD farm equipment dealer your mowers will get put on the back burner. If I walk into a JD dealer that I just purchased a $250,000.00 combine or tractor from and you walk in after purchasing a fleet of JD mowers at $60,000.00, who do you think will get top priority. I always wondered if people would get good service on JD mowers from a large dealer.
    I know the dealers here are farmer oriented and the farmer comes first no matter what.
  6. tamadrummer

tamadrummer LawnSite Bronze Member

My dealer is phenomenal! Since buying from them, I have had only a couple of problems with my mowers and when I have had to haul them in there, since I am green fleet, I went right to the front of the line and was out in less than an hour.

If my mower is unrepairable in one hour, I will be leaving with one just like it while they fix mine.

I highly recommend JD to anyone looking to get into mowing. My experience is limited to running, eXmark, Dixie, and Husky mowers and so I am biased to the cut left by mine and the service at my dealer.

I also use Deere 2 cycle and so far it is excellent, however it is powered by Kawasaki and starts so simply everytime that I am interested in Kawasaki branded stuff.
  7. puppypaws

That is wonderful, he is not only a good dealer but is a good person. He is treating you the way he would like to be treated and that is special in this day and time.
  8. TomberLawn

TomberLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I'll have to say that I doubt I will ever own another piece of John Deere equipment, at least not new. The older tractors were great, but nothing impresses me with most of their newer equipment. My brother worked for the local dealer for 3 years, so he got a good insider look at how things were going. Quality is going down the tube while prices are as high as ever.
    It's like pulling teeth to get warranty work out of our dealer. I met face to face with the regional warranty representative (he happened to be at the dealer while I was there one day) about a problem my dad's new Frontier rotary cutter had. He told me it would be covered under warranty. After about a month (which is way to long to wait for parts) I got the parts and installed them. Six months later, we were still getting bills for the warranty parts. This isn't necessarily John Deere's fault, just a service manager and bookkeeper being picky. Finally, our salesperson got things cleared up. This is not typical of all dealers, because I took delivery of our new tractor at a dealer near Florence, SC, and I was very impressed with the cleanliness and professionalism of the other dealer.
    We recently traded our Gator HPX diesel for a Husqvarna HUV diesel. The Husq is a far superior machine in power, handling, traction, and ease of operation. I saw the owner of the Husqvarna dealer this evening and he said he has sold 2 more HUVs after comparing them to our Gator sitting beside them on the lot.
  9. puppypaws

You and I are in the same area and my dad opened the dealership in Monroe but has been retired 20 years. I personally go down the road 20 miles from our area to the JD dealer in Anson county, they have always been good to me.
  10. 2 clowns mowing

2 clowns mowing LawnSite Senior Member

i've found the john deere dealer is the only dealer i can count on. they do great service and give me a loaner when my mowers break down. i will only buy jd from now on