John Deere ZTR Feedback

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Wolfie's L&L, Jul 19, 2004.

1. Wolfie's L&L

Wolfie's L&L LawnSite Member

I am hearing alot about the Exmark and Toro ZTR's here, which is great, but I'm looking to buy a used (maybe new) John Deere ZTR, for my lawn care business that I am running in addition to my full-time job.

What is your feedback on the JD's? Any common problems, etc??

Just looking around to see whats out there.

Thanks in advance!

2. Wolfie's L&L

Wolfie's L&L LawnSite Member

Anyone? Been awhile!
  3. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

4. Steve1

Steve1 LawnSite Senior Member

I demo'd every major brand out there except for the Everride and ended up buying a Deere 777 with a 60" 7-Iron deck. I absolutely love the machine and the cut is flawless. It also stripes VERY well without a kit although Deere does have a kit for it I'm told. And I also found on my demo's that the heavier, wetter the grass, the better the Deere cut versus the competition.

Hustler, exMark, Toro, Grasshopper, Gravely and Cub Cadet (the Tank) are all great machines. I liked the Deere 777 (and the 757 too) Z-Trak the best of all.

In my view - if you buy a Deere, you will not regret it. I bought the 777 over the 757 only because I wanted liquid cooled and the price the dealer offered me was great. Either size (the mid or the max frame) Z-Trak is a great machine.

Good luck!

5. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

I have a 727A w/ 54" deck and love it. Runs great and a real work horse.
  6. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I bought a new 757 back in 2002 and I just bought a second 757 a couple of months ago. I think they are great machines.
  7. GLS

GLS LawnSite Bronze Member

757 here. Great machine. We have not done a single repair to it yet. Just regular maintenace (oil, filters, lube, blades...). I think you'd be happy with it. I'm sure you've read this in other posts, but go demo some brands, and factor in dealer support.
  8. Dave Burrow

Dave Burrow LawnSite Member

We have a 757 with a 54" deck with 400 hrs on it, no problems so far. The 7 Iron decks have a first class cut. Also the machine has a very simple design, and if anything breaks the parts are easy to get. The Z-traks are top notch machines.