John Deere ZTR's

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Bouncer, Apr 22, 2003.

1. Bouncer

Bouncer LawnSite Member

Does anyone know or use the JD ZTR's for commercial use?? I used a lot of John Deere equipment many years ago when i worked on a farm and loved it!! But i have'nt heard much about the ZTR's. What about the trimmers and blowers?? Does anyone use them commercially?? My local JD Dealer is just down the street from me and it would be very handy to buy equipment there. Any feedback would be very helpful, Thanks!!:angel:

2. longviewlawncare

longviewlawncare LawnSite Senior Member

i have the m653. it is a good mower. does not stripe as good as some mowers on the market cause the way the deck is setup. But it will cut any hieght grass at any speed. You will not be disappionted with them. My choice now would be either an Exmark #1 or Huslter #2

3. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

Acquaintance of mine (also an LCO) who is heavy on the landscaping side uses the Z's and 2 cycle stuff for lawn care. Last conversation we has a couple weeks ago I asked him 'why green' and his response was 'it's convenient' he does one stop shopping at the dealer, can get repair parts overnight if they are not in stock. He knows he paid more than I did but is happy with the equipment and arrangement that he has at John Deere dealer.
    I cant give you specific information about his equipment other than it is well out of the homeowner class, hopefully others answering your question will have suggestions.
    BobR

4. imograss

imograss LawnSite Senior Member

im using deeres commercially. im running a m665 60" 25 kohler z trak and deere w/bs they cut great and ive got a good dealer, im fixing to trade up for the 777 or 757. ive been pleased .

5. Flex-Deck

Flex-Deck LawnSite Silver Member

I run the following JD equipment

one - 332 (1988 model with 5000 hrs on it, still purrs like a kitten-16HP yanmar diesel.

two - 455's one with 54" and one with 60" All wheel steer - one has 1400 hrs, one has 500 hrs - 22HP yanmar diesels

one - 455 - front wheel steer - 1500 hrs.

Have had no problems with any of them - They do run like a deer.

6. lawnagent

lawnagent LawnSite Senior Member

What about the landpride mowers? Aren't they supposed to be a division of John Deere? At least I know that they are sold at our local DEERE dealer.

7. TLS

TLS LawnSite Fanatic

Landpride is a Hustler brand. Nothing that I know thats made by JD.

8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

As far as the JD Ztrs go, there were some issues with them a few years back, when they first come out. Since then, in the last few years, I've heard nothing but good about these machines. The only two negative things I've ever heard regarding these is #1, the obvious, cost. But, this is synonomous with the John Deere name. On most case, if you want the JD quality and service, you do pay for it, but you get what you pay for. The #2 thing, is the stamped deck, rather than a fabricated deck. While fabbed decks have always been more rigid and durable, JD has since built their "7 iron" deck, and it has a full 5 1/2" depth for more vacuum and cutting ability. It is re-enforced, and I have yet to hear from anyone who has tweaked or tore one of these decks. Now, if they started FABRICATING these decks, they would for SURE be on top of their game! Anyway, anyone I've ever heard from that has these, likes them very much, and while that green and yellow paint is rather expensive, I guess so are Cadillac emblems.:)

9. redbull

redbull LawnSite Member

Just be aware that JD doesn't build their own products. Prime example is the Z (JD bought Great Dane). Same holds true for handheld product - Echo built them for years, than JD bought Homelite (smart move - lol). It is true that you can get all your parts from the JD dealer (including engine) but you will PAY for that service. Go with Toro> They build. they back them! Need I say more

10. GCS LawnService

GCS LawnService LawnSite Member

I am currently using the John Deere 757's and a John Deere GT245. I also use John Deere blowers and a trim mower and none of this equipment has let me down yet. I am using Honda UTM431 trimmers due to them being 4 Stroke but every thing else is John Deere. I even got a little crazy with my new enclosed trailer and installed green and yellow commercial tile flooring.

"Nothing Runs Like A Deere" :blob2: