John Deere

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Envy Lawn Service, Oct 12, 2002.

1. Envy Lawn Service

Envy Lawn Service LawnSite Fanatic

Does anyone use the newer Pro-Series XT trimmers with the M-Series engine by John Deere?

2. Envy Lawn Service

So far this post is 0 for 55 views. Nobody must run these things! I just thought I would ask since I might be able to get one at dealer cost and save a little. Doesn't seem like to good of an idea now.

3. Brickman

Brickman LawnSite Bronze Member

While I am a fan of green, the last I knew was the JD trimmers and chain saws were Homelite painted in JD colors. I would think twice about it.

Go Redmax, I loved my BC2600s.

4. Envy Lawn Service

There are 2 line of John Deere these days. The homlites with green plastic they sell for residential use at Home Depot. Then there is the commercial line that onlt JD dealers carry.

I've compaired them and nothing is the same. Go on John Deere's site and look at them. I'm still leary though because I see no one uses them.

5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I have a JD edger. If I had to do it all over again, I would go with either a Stihl of something else.

MATT

6. Envy Lawn Service

walkertalker,

Is it a commercial grade edger?

7. awm

awm LawnSite Gold Member

if i heard right, i believe john deere has divorced homelite. the company that was called olympic has been aquired i believe also great dane . olympic makes a quality
    piece of equipment.the name efco i think is the new name if memory serves me.. as to whether deeres midmounts are really danes i couldnt say but it would make sense. they already got the yellow ,all they gotta do is trim in green. then they can charge the green paint surcharge that
    turned me away from them to start with.

8. turfman33

turfman33 LawnSite Member

I use a JD trimmer and had no problems. It even cut a sprinkler pipe in half....wasn't to happy with it that day:D But I have put this thing through some heavy duty use and no problem at all.

Steve

9. TFL

TFL LawnSite Member

i use XT's the best that i have ran. i love them.

10. KDJ

KDJ LawnSite Senior Member

I run them. If there is a John Deere dealer close by stop and take a look. Very happy with mine.
    These trimmer are not the Home Depot homelites. But anyone in the bussiness knows that.