John Deere?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lars24, Mar 10, 2004.

1. lars24

lars24 LawnSite Member
    from ut

Does anyone run john deere equiptment? If so; how does it hold up? I know what they say "nothing runs...." but i would like to hear some "personal experience" before I make my choice. I'm looking at a 36" ZT walk behind and picking up a JS63C for trim work.

Mike Larson
    Larson Lawn Services

2. WESLEY BROWN

WESLEY BROWN LawnSite Member

They are slow in the commercial department. Good Commercial Mowers but you can get better. I will have people disagree with me because there diehard J.D. Fans. Thats my two cents!

3. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm running a 757, this will be my 3rd season with it and no major break downs yet. Will I buy another, yeppers. I've got nothing but great service from JD.

Wesly,

What kind of bad expieriences have you had with Deere? What machines have you owned from JD?

4. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

DLCS, I'm with you. I run a JD 757, and it is a tank. Very precise piece of machinery that leaves a razor sharp, perfect cut. I love the 7-iron deck too.

I would have to disagree with Wesley Brown about Deere being slow in the commercial department. In fact, they just introduced a re-vamped line of their commercial handhelds in 2004 and and completely new line of commercial mowers in 2002, when I bought my 757. If he's referring to dealer support, I would have to disagree there as well. There are 4 dealers within a half hour drive from my house and the two I have dealt with have been much better then dealers of other brands in my area as far as helpfulness, getting parts, and service (my brother - in - law in a suburb outside of Kansas City says the same about his local JD dealer). For me to say that is going out on a limb, which I won't do on anything I can't back up. To each his own, but that is my experience and I'm staying with Deere.

Lars 24, you know my opinion to your question.

5. protouchlawn

protouchlawn LawnSite Member

I bought a new 757 in Nov.,And a new GS-30 3 weeks ago. I have run JD lawn tractors and JS-63C's for the last 3 yearswith a total of ZERO!!! problems. It would be hard to sell me anything but the green and yellow.

6. WESLEY BROWN

WESLEY BROWN LawnSite Member

I used to have a J.D. Walk behind with a 48" cut and sold it because I have lost 3 local dealers in the past 10 years. It did not have suction and I had a better experience with lesco about quality. No I did not have a 7 Iron deck. Deere's Zero turn is a Great Dane painted Green and with a different Deck. Deere has to many people married to Green paint that they can't see much further. There new trimmer line is some Japenese Co painted green. My Buddy used to work for deere and he said he did not make any money off of them unless you done everything there way and then you lost money because you were stuck with stuff you could not give away. :cool:

7. grassrootsinab

grassrootsinab LawnSite Member
    from up here

I run JS63 for 4 years now....the mowers run great!! No problems with the drive mechanics or tranny. The only weak part is the Briggs. (i have a 6.4 and 6.75 HP). I also run a Deere 36" gear walk behind and really like it. If I were to go bigger I'd for sure look at the 7 iron decks on the 7 series ZTR.

Back to the trim mowers... they mulch great! I'm buying another in a couple of weeks.

8. vadeere

vadeere LawnSite Member

My service experinces with my Deere dealer have been less than stellar. he has been the epitamy of poor service and unethical business dealings. I have owned two deere lawn tractors. Remeber nothing runs like a deere, but nothing stinks like a john. j/k If the deere wb is what you want, get it and dont look back. Im sure there are good deere dealers out there, just not mine. Good Luck

9. JDRep2

JDRep2 LawnSite Member

Wesely, I'm sorry to hear about your situation in OH.
    Point of correction: (you said, No I did not have a 7 Iron deck. Deere's Zero turn is a Great Dane painted Green and with a different Deck. ) Nothing could be further from the truth. Dane's are a completely different animal, in particular the mid and max frame models. John Deere shows no commonality with Dane other than in the stander 'technology'. Not only are the decks different, but the frame, the wiring, the hydraulics, the belts, the motors and, most importantly, the warranty.
    My suggestion is to demo the unit and let the mower do the talking. The dealer plays a key role in your satisfaction after the sale make sure he's willing to support your efforts by giving you priority as a commercial operator.
    The GS30 is a solid commercial walk that has been around for years but is formed differently than the 48", plus it is a timed deck.
    Good luck in your search lars24.

10. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

I don't think anyone cares how your buddy can't make any money selling Deere equipment thats his problem and not what was asked in the original question. Sounds like your biggest problem was with the dealers in your area not with the John Deere mowers. I think JDrep has set the record straight between Deere and Dane. If you compare them side by side you'll see the many differences.:cool: