John DiMartino or others, I'm building a green.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by osc, Jan 15, 2001.

1. osc

osc LawnSite Senior Member

I have a personal project at home of building a practice putting green, sand bunkers, pitching area etc and I was wondering what latest and greatest was in bent grass seed. I am familiar with PennEagle and PennCross but I must say the most impressive bent grass I've ever played was Crenshaw Bent. It was microfine and very true with lightening speed.
    I would appreciate any advice you can give. I witnessed a golf course being built and basically the greens were pure masonry sand. They drain fantastically but I would prefer a little soil with it.
    Anyhow, I will be doing some research and will start construction in March weather permitting.

Thanks for any replies.

2. parkwest

parkwest LawnSite Senior Member

Have you looked into artificial turf putting greens? A lot less labor intensive on the greens upkeep. We'll be putting in three putting greens on my property this spring. A 3 hole par 3 course. We are going with the artificial turf because of the lower upkeep.

3. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

If I was going to install one for myself, I would look at the artificial greens. I think I even seen one in a Northern catalog for very little money. They would be so much better for maintenance. Spend more time putting than caring for it all the time.

4. osc

osc LawnSite Senior Member

I've used an artificial green at an indoor range and was moderately impressed. I'll check it out but I actually think I can go natural and it be cheaper to install. I realize the maintenance will probably over-ride the install price in a matter of time.
    I guess a natural green is just something I wanted to do. Actually, I really want to build an entire course but the timing and resources are not quite there yet.

5. Mueller Landscape Inc

Mueller Landscape Inc LawnSite Senior Member

Use the sand. You need good drainage and the roots will grow deep.

John

6. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

We use penncross and providence at different times of the yr,we have not mixed anything else in at this point.My advice is to make sure your reel mower is kept razor sharp,and cut at least every other day in the growing season,or it'll creep out of control on you,and you'll need to verticut it more often.Make sur its location is high enough,and that it has plenty of sun,especially in the winter,i have a couple of greens in wooded corners,these are my problem greens,they always get ice damage,I have to shovel them off in the winter or the ice damage will be unbelievable.There isnt enough air circulation either due th neighbors trees and underbrush,this creates problems,especailly in the wet season,so make sure you have plenty of air movement ,and if you dont,consider trimming brush,limbs and shrubs to get it.If you cant give enogh air to the green,your pesticide use will be higher than normal,as will stress,which leads to poor playing conditions,more disease and compaction.For topdressing and aerating we have been using a divot mix we get from NJ,ill get the name and contents next time im there,but it is very rich topdressing,naturally we dress a few times a year,and aerate twice.