Johne Deere 717

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by lambdin, Jun 12, 2008.

1. lambdin

lambdin LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I've been demoing new ztr's and it seems whatever new one I buy is gonna cost 6K + that said, I live within 1 hour of 5 john deere dealors and it seems there is always a used 717 for sale and was wondering what the owners think of them, my questions Are,
    Is it under powered being only 19hp?
    hows the cut quality?
    will it cut well mowing fast?
    Do the decks load up
    what about the controls location?? kinda weird
    is the hydro pump/s quality- servicabilty comparable to scag/hustler/everride.
    You can normally pick up a nice used 717 say 2003-2005 for about 4K in my area, thanks
  2. KDJ

KDJ LawnSite Senior Member

I started out with John deere, I still have two right now. But I will never buy one again. The 7-Iron deck will give you a great cut but the rest is junk. I can't get 200 to 300 hours on a set of belts and any and all parts will cost big dollars. I have a 647 with less than 450 hrs, got it as a demo with 25 hrs paid 4995.00 Great deal right. I have over 2700.00 in repairs!

Look at Scag or Hustler I have a super-z 2400 hrs no major repairs, That's what I want in a mower.
  3. lambdin

lambdin LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

Thats the kinda feedback I need, a couple of them I've seen say wheel motors just rebuilt and they only had like 350 hours on them, I'm not a professional lawn cutter just a home owner with a couple acres to mow each week .
  4. Stinchcomb Lawn

Stinchcomb Lawn LawnSite Member

I have 3 JD's 2 757 and 1 717A. I wouldn't have anything else my 717A is for sale, making some changes business wise and no longer need it. I have had NO problems with any of my JD's !!
  5. jnrogers

jnrogers LawnSite Member
    from East TN

I have a 717A with almost 500 hours on it, and never one problem I am like the guy in the previos post I only use john deeres, I love the way they cut, and have never had a problem with them. My next big purchase when I save up enough money is a 48" commercial walk behind. Everybody you ask is going to have a different opinion, like ford, chevy. I am sure some people have gotten lemons before in any brand of mower.
  6. lawns Etc

lawns Etc LawnSite Silver Member

If you can get a 7 series jump on it the new 800s are trash 7series do some searches they have a good reputation and the best all condition deck in the market
  7. spazfam

spazfam LawnSite Member

We have a 717A with about 200 hours, runs great. Have a mulch kit on it. When the blades start to dull you get a little chatter and some bogging in tall grass but other than that its a great machine.
  8. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

The 717 was one of my favorite mowers. With the mulching kit will turn leaves and straw into dust, eliminates the bagging.
  9. lambdin

lambdin LawnSite Member
    from Indiana

I havent been on one yet, Do you think theyre as fast as a hustler mini or tiger cub? thanks,
  10. lawnspecialties

lawnspecialties LawnSite Silver Member