Johne Deere Surfer

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by LAWNGODFATHER, Aug 23, 2002.

1. Yesterday I met beck at a dealer who had one to demo in their front lawn. So I took it for a spin. It was ok as far a driving it around. Couldn't mow with it. Price was ok, but I wanted to demo one with the Great Dane 52" deck and not the 54" "7 iron".

It had a 23hp Kaw, I asked if I could get one with a Kohler 23hp, he said "no" you have to go up in deck size for that Kohler engine. I said thanks anyways, good by.

What is up with all the MFG's not offering Kohler's on these mowers?

2. KLMlawn

KLMlawn LawnSite Senior Member

What make you prefer Kohler to Kawi?
    I have never owned a Kohler, but most of the guys around here prefer Kawi's, plus I think I saw someone post some stats that Kawi has much more torque than Kohlers, but I am not a mech.

3. gravedigger5

gravedigger5 LawnSite Senior Member

LGF, you said you wanted to demo a Great Dane, isn't there any dealers on your side of the river? I test drove one at I think it was called Bellvelle Rentals in Bellvelle IL. I also think they had a store in Columbia Il. Shouldn't be to far for you to drive. Don't remember what motor it had but was the 60" version. You can see everything well but it felt kinda hokey driving it around. And that narrow little platform you gotta stand, I'd rather be on a vellke. Marc

Arre We Having Fun Yet???:cool:

4. I am all Kohler, but I have 1 kaw 14hp (the best engine kaw ever made)

I asked the dealer if he could show me a Kaw with over 1000 hours, he said yeah the 420V (same 14hp engine I said above) but none were the V-Twins.

I have one with 4xx hours, the others with 1,9xx, 2,3xx, 2,6xx, 3,3xx 4,2xx, and 4,9xx hours. That's why I perfer Kohler!

My real question was why no Kohler option?

Oh yeah I have some Honda's too but those are on aerators sprayers, seeders, etc.

And I got a Robin Suburu yesterday.

5. Yeah I want to demo a Dane 52" with a kohler 23hp, but have no clue to a dealer near me.

Gravedigger E-mail me the number to them please.

6. Martino

Martino LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Midwest

7. Yup

314 or 636 area code would be close to me. One dealer I have never heard of before and the other is close to an hour drive.

Anyone have a 52" Dane with a Kohler 23hp on it?

8. Poplen

Poplen LawnSite Member

I don't know if this answers your question, but I have the 22hp Kohler on my 52. 1999 with 300 hrs on it.