Johnny Deere JX75 "mods"

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Slowhand2, May 15, 2006.

1. Slowhand2

Slowhand2 LawnSite Member

due to the JX85 being "discontinued" i've decided to go down the "Mod a JX75" path. not thrilled about it, but i don't see any other reasonable choices in walk-behinds. bummer.

anyway....... the wheels on the JX75 are too light & too small for daily use. does anyone know how to put steel 10" wheels on the JX75 so that they match the JX85s?

thanks all.
    slowhand2

2. lawnboyblake

lawnboyblake LawnSite Member

Hey buddy,
    I'm in the SAME EXACT boat as you are. IF this can be done cheap enough, i will buy a brand new JX75 and do the same. PLEASE Let's hear some feedback on this one guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. grshppr

grshppr LawnSite Senior Member

The steel wheels swap over no problem, I also swapped the rear height adjuster so its a little more heavy duty, the JX 75 height adjusters kept dropping down if you hit a bump. It took me about an hour, but I had the parts from one of the old junker Jx85's I had. If you had to buy all the parts it would be pricey.

4. The Grass Master

The Grass Master LawnSite Member

Guys I use two JX75's for my operation. The plastic is heavy and does just fine. The black tread is the only part that goes bad after many, many miles of use and is the only reason I had to change my rear wheels after 4 seasons. And yes the black tread is the same for the plastic and metal wheels. If your like me I will not have any other 21" mower do to its deck design. Better than anything else I have evef used.

5. lawnboy dan

lawnboy dan LawnSite Gold Member

i totally agree that this is the best 21 desighn ever! i have used every mower ever made and these are tops in every department. if you have a junker 85 -you are all set. the dealer wants 100$ for each steel wheel so it would be pricey indeed to buy all the stuff seperate. i have been unable to get repalcement steel gears for the back wheels on mine . the dealer gives me plastic ones and insists thery are correct!this happen to you guys too?