1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Johnny's 10 House Rules for Employees

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by johnnybravo8802, Jul 21, 2008.

1. johnnybravo8802

johnnybravo8802 LawnSite Silver Member
    from Ga.

After dealing with every moron in the state of GA, I've compiled this list of expectations that each employee will have to abide by at the beginning of the day or I'll send them packing. I'm not wasting any more money on crap!

Johnny’s 10 House Rules

1. Don’t say you have experience when you don’t. It’ll show and I’ll send you home.

2. Always have lunch money and something to drink - I’m not your mother.

3. Expect to work from sunup to sundown. If you can’t, let me know and you’ll be replaced.

4. NO SMOKING!!! I don’t smoke and don’t want my truck smelling like smoke. I want to promote a positive image.

5. Never, ever stand and watch me work. There is always something to do on a job. If you finish with a machine, start pulling weeds or do something - you’re being paid by the hour so you should be working.

6. Don’t worry about how many breaks I take!!! I’ve been doing this for 28 years and that’s why I’m the boss and have earned these breaks. In 28 years when you’re the boss, you can take that many breaks too.

7. Treat each job with the utmost care. If you see trash, pick it up. If you see a weed, pull it - use common sense!!!

8. You’re entitled to a 15 min. break in the morning, 15 in the afternoon, and a 30 min. lunch. You will be docked for the lunch break only. You can take short water breaks throughout the day but you’ll need to get back to work as soon as possible.

10. If you have a problem with Johnny’s 10 House Rules, just remember, the unemployment line is very long.
  2. larryinalabama

larryinalabama LawnSite Fanatic

Johnny I thought you were going SOLO.

Larrys rules for employment.......... If you dont come equiped with a internal combustion engine I dont need you. Equiptment has made me a whole lot more money than any employee ever could.
  3. johnnybravo8802

from Ga.

I'm solo almost 100% of the time but every blue moon I have to hire a day laborer or someone off the streets and I usually get some real winners. Sometimes I do landscaping projects and need one or two people. I used to do a 7.5 acre cemetary several years ago and, of course, had to hire 4 day laborers each time. It got so bad, I gave up the job-I was working myself to death with the mowing, training, and babysitting. Out of about 40 people over the last 10 years, I've had maybe two who were worth the money. This is exactly why I am solo. This is my list for anyone I hire every blue moon.
  4. mississippiturf

mississippiturf LawnSite Senior Member

So, what happened to the good ones you've had?? I think I know.:dizzy:
  5. logical

logical LawnSite Member

Anybody breaks the rules...gets a night in the box.
  6. Swampy

Swampy LawnSite Bronze Member

I can see where your coming from in the most part.
  7. corey4671

corey4671 LawnSite Silver Member

reminds me of when I called my insurance agent abou worker's comp. Job I was bidding required it regardless of whether or not you had employees. Screwed up TN rules. Agent said I thought you worked alone. I told him I do. He said why is that. I told him two reasons..1 don't want the hassles 2 I'm too big of a butthole to work for. He laughed and said well at least you are honest about it.

The cool hand luke reference is too funny. HIts close to home
  8. johnnybravo8802

from Ga.

Swampy-I'll explain a few things. Working from sun-up to sun-down doesn't literally mean that everyday. I have hired a lot of guys from a day laborer agency and requested that I needed to work someone all day. I've had several that have told me the minute they got in my truck that they couldn't work past 1 PM and then I was forced to get them to bring out another worker at 1PM and I'd have to train another body who couldn't even start a weedeater after he said he had experience(It's summer time and they're no 8-5 jobs in lawn maintenance). The part about me taking breaks-I've had workers think that because I was standing at the truck or talking to a customer, it was time to take a break. A lot of times I'd be making an important phone call to another customer or taking care of business after I had just finished riding a mower for 2 hrs. straight. I've rounded corners on a mower and literally seen 4 guys I've hired sitting in the shade watching me work and that doesn't fly. I've actually had guys comment on the number of breaks I took. If I hire a person, I expect them to work and not worry about me. When they finish working, my day keeps going with doing mower maintenance, fueling equipment, paper work, etc. My breaks are not actually breaks. As a solo operator, it usually takes 2-3 guys to equal how hard you're working. I work by the job and they're working by the hour.
  9. cutedge

cutedge LawnSite Member

I agree with you 100%, I think i'm going to print the list and hang it in the trailer tomorrow morning!
  10. blackoak26

blackoak26 LawnSite Member

I thought they outlawed slavery.......just kidding, sounds good except I have to have a smoke every now and then and my image is clean....