Johnson Grass...what will kill with damaging turf

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by dmc456, Jul 29, 2005.

1. dmc456

dmc456 LawnSite Senior Member

I normally use SpeedZone to kill BLWs.

A few customers and one new customers specifically has Johnson Grass. SpeedZone normally makes it wilt but does not kill. Will 2 appications spaced 10-14 days due the job?

I'm looking for a general spray application before I purchase a 5' wick applicator for roundup.

My "New" customer has 1 acre with lots of Johnson Grass.

2. OrganicBob

OrganicBob LawnSite Member

Johnsongrass is a tough one, esp. if it is well established. A broad leaf weed killer will work if you keep a close eye on it with follow-up applications, but I'd go for somethinng a little stronger. Normally I wouldn't suggest this because I really don't like using herbicides, but some good old fashioned MSMA just might be what the doctor ordered. Treat on a hot day, and try to get as little as possible on the surrounding turf. That should burn it up in 1 or 2 treatments. In the old days, a lump of fertilizer placed right on top would have worked fine, but that isn't the best IPM practice by far. In the Spring, pre-emerge with Barricade 4FL or 65DG, Pre-M 3.3 EC or 60DG, Surflan AS, or Dimension 1EC. If Johnsongrass is prevalent in that particular area or lawn, you may pre-emerge twice, about 8 weeks apart. Snapshot 2.5 TG and Ronstar granular work well too. Good cultural practices are a must. Mowing often will keep the photosynthetic structures (i.e. blades/leaves) small and less capable of manufacturing carbohydrates effectively starving the roots. If all else fails, use a manual weed puller to lift the plant, roots and all, out of the soil. If it resprouts, at least you'll be dealing with a smaller and more vulnerable weed.