1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

joining pavers to existing asphalt driveway

Discussion in 'Homeowner Assistance Forum' started by jrozycki, Sep 17, 2004.

1. jrozycki

jrozycki LawnSite Member

New house, new driveway, no sidewalk, no lawn, no sprinler system.
    Next most appropriate project to complete, I beleive is our walkway and patio (then sprinkler then lawn).

Not sure if we want stamped concrete or brick pavers. Pavers I think I could do myself but I am not sure what to do where the pavers would meet the driveway. The asphalt dirveway at this intersetion is curved and beveled. Would I trim the driveway edge or trim the pavers. Or do I end the pavers in a nice flat edge and have a bit of blacktop brought in to fill in the gap.

The stamped concrete method seems the easist to link to other hardscapes, but I would not be able to do the job myself. We are in Connecticut
  2. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

stamped concrete seems to be growing in popularity up here, but I'm not sure how it can be done without cracking from frost. :confused:

As far as how to finish at the asphalt, depending on the site situation. In your case, if the driveway curves, I would think you would want to maintain that look, or else it will probably stick out like a sore thumb.

I would suggest a soldier course up against the asphalt, then make your paver cuts inside the soldier course. If you have any asphalt touch-up to do, you can probably just get some patch at home depot, or a real small gap you could fill with the same poly sand you should be topping the pavers with.

If it's your first patio, get a brochure from Cambridge, Bolduc, Techno or one of the other manufacturers and read the install instructions carefully.

Good Luck.