1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Joint filler

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by fall46, Jul 29, 2004.

1. fall46

fall46 LawnSite Member

I have run out of coarse sand that I was going to use as my joint filler bewteen my pavers (basket weave pattern using a rectangle brick and square brick) Its 285 sq ft.... How do I estimate how much more sand I would need......... Any ideas suggestions?..

Secondly I was planning on using coarse sand as my joint filler however after doing a test with some it seemed like it contained an awful lot of larger pebbles which took awhile to work in the joints,,,,,,,, ICPI states u can use either Mason sand or Coarse but when I asked the landscape yard I was told that Mason Sand and I quote "its way to fine and will bleedout over time? I was however planning on using Sandlock..........Can anyone comment on pro's cons coarse vs mason........would using the sandlock with the mason sand solve this??????
  2. GreenMonster

GreenMonster LawnSite Silver Member
    from NH

Do you need additional sand for the base of that 285sf? If so:

285sf x .083' = 23cf

23cf/27cf (1cy) = .85

one yard should finish it up, at a normal 1" base of sand over your gravel base.

If it's just for filling, I'd wing it. Maybe a 1/4 cy or less? I would think that is more than enough. Maybe just as easy to get a couple bags at landscape supply store? Due to the cost, I usually don't use the stabilizer but for a top dress. Seems to be ok.

I believe that course/mason statement is relatively accurate. Too many fines in the mason sand. Paver manufacturers are recommending "concrete" sand. Some still say stonedust, but that can result in efflorescence.

Good luck