Joint Pain, is it just part of this Business?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by -, Aug 4, 2000.

1. Guest

I am 26 years old and started in this business this year. So far things are going great, great accounts, good money. But already, at age 26 and only working in this business for 6 months, I am showing signs of repetitive stress injuries.

I have morning stiffness in my knees, tennis elbow from using the trimmer, carpal tunnel in both wrists from the vibration of the equipment. Also lower back pain and sharp pains in my hands, possibly arthritis?

Is this just a part of the business that I will have to get used to or is there something that can be done about it.

I currently own a Shinadiawa Trimmer with an anti-vib system built in. I use anti-vib gloves. I wear special braces when I sleep for the carpal tunnel. What else can be done? My business is successful, we've reached all our 1 year goals in less than 6 months but I find myself thinking of ways out because I don't want to feel like a crippled old man at at 40. How do you old timers do it?

2. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

I've been at this for 7 years now and except for a thumb that won't bend all the way down into my palm (probably would've happened anyway) I show no symptoms of vibration induced injury. Not everyone is able to do this kind of work and prehaps you <i>should</i> consider hiring some help.

3. Guido

Guido LawnSite Silver Member

Hey. are you sure this is all due to your work, or are you self-diagnosing yourself?? I've been doing this type of work for over 7 years and I feel nothing but great. This is the only thing that keeps me in shape. I drink, smoke and eat all the worst stuff for you, so I don't know how else to explain it. Well hope you feel better soon, or look into alternatives before you work yourself into the ground at such an early age. Look into hiring some workers or sub-contracting.

Hope everything works out!!

4. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

If you are hurting that bad in 6 months,you need to see a doctor if you havent already.It doesnt matter how successful your business is,if its doing that much to you,you need to hire help or look into something else not so tough on your hands and body.I am a golf course superintentdent and ive hired about 20 young guys like yourself over the last 11 years,and about 4 of them were like you,they had to quit,it was all they could do to trim for an hour.The carpo-tunnel is bad news,see about getting a helper.Ive been doing this kinda work for 12 years and the only thing Im suffering from is lower back pain,but I got that from a car accident.I just hit 30 this year and I think its all downhill from here so ill get used to the aches and pains.Take care of yourself immediately,before you do more irreverable damage that'll haunt you later on.

5. dhicks

dhicks Member

If I had the sysmptoms that you discribed, I would contine with the carpal tunnel splints and the antivibration gloves. For the knee and back pain, I would take two Motrin four times per day for a week with a meal or snack (providing I was not allergic to aspirin type products).

If the knee and back pain are improved after taking the Motrin for a week or so, I would then attribute my pain to inflamation such as early arthritis.

Oh yeah, then I would see my personal physician.

6. TGCummings

TGCummings LawnSite Senior Member

See a doctor. Right away. I've been in this type of business for 17 years, and been running my own for 6. I've dealt with arthritis, slight carpal, and severe lower back pain (to name a few!) in my day, but not all at once in a fashion as severe as you seem to indicate. Stuff happens, and side effects will occur from any type of repetitive work, but you need a full-on professional diagnosis, like Guido suggested.

Don't delay this, chief, it could be the most important thing you ever do...

-TGC

7. lja

lja LawnSite Member

HEY GRASS

I HAD CARPEL TUNNEL ALSO .... BUT AFTER 5 YEARS OF THIS .....GET SOME ANTI VIBRATION GLOVES AND THAT SHOULD HELP OUT A LOT .....I AM HURTING LIKE CRAZY RIGHT NOW BUT I THINK ITS BECAUSE OF THE SOFTBALL GAMES ....HEH HEH HEH

GOOD LUCK

RICK

8. Start stretching about twenty minutes twice a day, morning and night.

Get a book called "Active Isolated Stretching" authored by Phil Wharton (about $16) or Aaron Mattes (about $30).

This modern stretching techniqe is easy, fast and effective.