Joint Problems

Discussion in 'Hardscaping' started by Plant Buyer 83, Apr 26, 2007.

1. Plant Buyer 83

Plant Buyer 83 LawnSite Member

Has anyone had any problems with there sand joints not setting correctly. We have done alot of jobs and it seems that a month or so later we get a call back and the polymetric sand we use for the joints (gator dust, poly sand, or a similar product) is one either is completely soft or it pulls out as one entire strip, that is fairly soft as well. Anyone else having this problem. The joint size is either 1/2" or more. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. forestfireguy

forestfireguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

I've never used poly sand for a joint that big. There were (or so we were told) issues last year with Techos poly sand last year. Are you talking about last years work or are possibly using old sand ?

3. Plant Buyer 83

Plant Buyer 83 LawnSite Member

Forest, Yes I am talking about last years work, I have yet to use any this year, but thanks for the info. I hope they fixed the problem. Do you mortar your joints?? and if so how much time does that add?

4. ChampionLS

ChampionLS LawnSite Bronze Member

Why would your joints be bigger than 1/2 wide? and why would you try to pull them out anyway? I've tried different poly sands, and all of them will be soft. They dont get hard like tile grout. (it might in a sample dish) but after your outside and you broom the stuff all over, it only gets firm. Still well enough to keep the weeds out.

5. mrusk

mrusk LawnSite Gold Member

I only once had a proablem with techo poly sand. I did a big ep henry devon stone job. The stone has joints around 3/4inch. The joints did not hold.

Is techo offering any warranty on their bad sand?

6. forestfireguy

forestfireguy LawnSite Senior Member
    from nj

I don't recall any warranty, and I imagine if they did it would be possible replacement of the product, do a search here, I think I recall a thread or at least a post on this topic.

7. cgland

cgland LawnSite Bronze Member

What you are describing sounds as if the polymers in the sand have been washed out. Either that or it was not properly installed.

Chris

8. zedosix

zedosix LawnSite Silver Member

Make sure after sweeping the sand in and blowing off the powder with a leaf blower that you lightly mist the sand, let it sit a minute or two and mist it once more. That should work. Don't wash the sand in what ever you do.

9. PatriotLandscape

PatriotLandscape LawnSite Bronze Member
    from MA

check and make sure the sand you are using is good for that size joint. I know alliance makes two different sands one for small joints and one for large joints.

10. Captains Landscape

Captains Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

Patriot Landscape, where in MA do you purchase the alliance product?