joke of the day

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by DAZ982500, Apr 27, 2005.

1. DAZ982500

DAZ982500 LawnSite Member

went to a hotal to provide an estimate to a new owener .turns out its an indian family i introduce my self expalin to them my services lawns and snowplowing.i give him an estimate of 35.00 dollars for lawn with trimming he states that the last guy did for 25.00 dollars.work is this 5 foot strip 100 yards long 20x20 lawn area and an island in front of the front office.he said i will pay you 30 i made the mistake of saying to him insurance gas, thinking to him here i go again defending my price no no no!then he said the last guy timmed the bushes and shrubs i said this is said work seperate price and all.so i start getting into with him with his family there there are 25 small bushes 2 shrubs 10feet in diameter and a monster shrub 25 feet tall and hes telling me you do"not half to do it all the time just give them alittle trim.my blood is boiling at this time.the bottom line is this is the reason he owns the place and i dont he 100% pure cheap manipulative and dirty.I on the other hand am 100% honest harding working and american.in the end since i drive by this place everyday i would imagine either the lawn will never gat done or the family will do it or some A.. will do it.i did not even get to snowplowing hay why do not you shovel it by hand and all make a nice dish of Curry.

2. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

i would tell him ok. i'll trim, cut, anything u want. let him set the price. shake his paw, tell him you'll be there tuesday...and never show up.

3. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

I knew how this story was going to go after I read the second sentence

4. QualityLawnCare4u

QualityLawnCare4u LawnSite Gold Member

LOL, Al inc, I agree 100% with you on that when I saw who he was dealing with.

5. Precision

Precision LawnSite Silver Member

If you don't like to haggle then you shouldn't even give estimates to these people.

If you want $35 then start at $55. They start at $20 and you meet at $35 and everyone is happy.

6. Todd's lawncare

Todd's lawncare LawnSite Senior Member
    from P.A

when i pay my water bill tomm im gonna do that .

7. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Exactly.
    It is their custom to haggle price on everything.
    And try to get as much for free as possible.
    That doesn't mean you have to go along..........

Just did a quote today for lawn maintenance, shrub trimming, mulch or stone install and cleanup............the price was higher because I know what's coming.........
    Just part of the game.

8. grassmanvt

grassmanvt LawnSite Senior Member

I hate to see the racial thing come up but, just so happens an indian family owns about a half-dozen hotels around here and same deal. I thought I was cheap but these guys brought it to a new level. At one of the hotels in particular, they have been through about a half dozen plowing contractors in the past two years. Every service job gets haggled to the end, every time it ends up with the old " you said it was this much for the whole area or whole year" or whatever fits the situation at hand. I maintain some nearby properties so I get a kick out of seeing who happens to be servicing them from week to week.

9. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I don't know... while trying to read your post.. I thought you were a freakin' foreigner too. :alien:

10. Jeff@SGLC.ca

Jeff@SGLC.ca LawnSite Senior Member

i don't think anyone in school ever taught him what a run on sentence was and the correct use of punctuation that would be needed to make the sentence that much easier to read and understand instead of wondering what the first part of the story had to do with the last part of the story because I dont really remember seeing any periods or capital letters to start off a new sentence.