Joke of the day....

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Liquidfast, Jul 28, 2006.

1. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

I was contacted by a commercial property and this was the conversation..

Secretary (now referred to as S only): "Hey Chris, the owner is FREAKING out cuz you guys haven't performed work in the front area. We asked for mulch and flowers and it's been 3 weeks and still nothing."

Me: We submitted 2 invoices since May 6 and haven't rec'd payment yet.

S: Well, we are away for 1 week so please make sure the work is finished by the time we get back.

Me: Is my cheque ready?

S: No. Can you call monday and talk with Lynn?

Me: Sure

S: So the mulch and flowers will be finished by next week?

Me: Will my cheque be ready by next week?

S: I am sure we can get things in motion.

Me: Well, the work will wait till then.

S: Oh, he wont like that..........................

Me: Thanks for the pay, no work.

Ten minutes later.........H A L F my cheque is ready for pick up.

FREAKIN HALF....I am gonna do half the work.
  2. Brianslawn

Brianslawn LawnSite Silver Member

sounds like arlington properties. i just dropped them for exact same BS.
  3. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Starting to sound like bobby. J/K!
  4. Liquidfast

from Ontario

I picked up a few new commercial accounts that will include snow removal as well. I hate to see this particular account go cuz it generates $700 month and there really is very little work. Now that I type this, I must be crazy not to keep it.

I now realize I could do more. They could also pay on time and my work will reflect that. Anyway, I feel better now.

Here is the kicker. I cut the secretary for FREE. I do not charge her one cent for her place and in exchange, I only ask to be paid fairly, and ON TIME.
  5. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Hey man, first I am sorry to hear your woes because I had this pita problem earlier this year with a $570 / month account... It may not be 700 but it was also a lot of money thou in my case they paid on time, but they wanted more and more, and once I gave a little, they wanted ten times more, and it got worse and worse and in the end I got fired.

Same as with you, it has been a lean year and I couldn't stop thinking about the money which is why I held on to it until it was beyond tolerable for them, but this is also why I say 'greed clouds your judgement' because always a big amount of money seems to make me stupid when it comes to making rational choices.

After they let me go, the hit from the lack of money was felt in that month's deposits but by next month things appeared to be back on track and right now I'm actually better off (literally) as I'm able to pick up accounts that before, I couldn't due to a full schedule.

Time and again I have learned, even if there is already slack in the schedule, it is better to open that room for better customers when such a problem arises... Sooner or later, those better customers do come and you will thank yourself for having made said room.

Half the check doesn't cut it, in my case the contract specified that if the account was not paid within 2 weeks of the billing date then services could be discontinued so I had this as my way out... Which is my problem with contracts, everything has to be specifically spelled out and covered, so then if I go through that much trouble I will have a 500,000 page contract that hopefully specifies any and every eventual possibility and by then, I am better off without all those headaches, for which reason I don't do commercial contracts anymore.
  6. Liquidfast

from Ontario

Interesting. I prefer commercial over residential. I have the non-payer problem from my resi's, not commercials. This particular account stresses me like no other because in reality, if it were just a grass only account, they should not pay more than $400 per month. The mulch job is only $900 and that was factored into the $700 fee. When I gave the estimate, I was a shoe-in due to covering their butts during a big snow storm when their company didnt show. It amazes me how short a memory this place has.

This company wants estimates and work orders for EVERYTHING. When they called me last week, they insisted I plant flowers and shrubs for them prior to their return from vacation and to send them the bill (they are allowing me to go ahead with work prior to knowing the cost!!)???? This bill is gonna be H U G E. It will be my parting jesture to them for the being the slowest payers in Ontario.
  7. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

May 6? if you do HALF the work, that is generous. They will get the picture. People dont realize tht it is money GOING OUT when we are working...not just staying neutral. If I could operate with no costs, that would be different - (and great), but realistically, we HAVE to keep the cash flow going. Tell them that if 20% of your customers did that, you would be out of business.
  8. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

We prefer commericial also because the potential of getting extra work usually without bidding. The down side is that most commericial run 30 to 60 days behind. To get rid of the stress look at what it is costing you to have that money outstanding. Once we did that we moved on.......outstanding money and the related cost is just another cost of doing business. Just add a few dollars on to their next job just like you apparently are doing without having the back and forth discussion about money.