Jonsered "Bag It or Drag It" Promotion

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Ursushorribilus, Oct 2, 2004.

1. Ursushorribilus

Ursushorribilus LawnSite Member

Jonsered is giving up to $150 off new saws if you bring in a used saw to trade, regardless of condition. I've got a 12 year old Jonsered that still runs great, but I sure would like to have a brand spankin' new CS 2171 Turbo 5.3 hp. Would you trade a 12 year old saw that runs well for $150 in order to get a new one? Oh, by the way, what do you all think of Jonsered? I should have asked that first...Tony

2. D Felix

D Felix LawnSite Bronze Member

You might be better off asking over in the chainsaw forum at Arboristsite, you'll get more response.:) http://www.arboristsite.com I would bet that 1/2 the people here don't even know what Jonsered's are. I'm not knocking them (the members), just pointing out that they aren't as well known as Stihl's or Huskys.

That being said, dad has 3 Jonsereds, I would take any of the three. IIRC, he's got a 610 with 16" bar (wish it had a chainbrake), a 630 w/ 22 or 24" bar, and a 670 that is a newer version of the 630, with a slightly shorter bar than the 630. All run well, the 630 can be a little cold blooded, but it's also cut a LOT of wood in the last 15-20 years!

If you've got good dealer support, go for it. Is that $150 off new saws with an old Jonsered, or any brand of saw? If it's with any brand of saw, go spend $50 at a garage sale on a cheap Poulan and trade that in!

HTH.

Dan

3. geoscaper

geoscaper LawnSite Member

i have a jonsered. I've had it for 3-4 years, and it is great. best chainsaw that you can buy in my opinion.

4. bottlefed89

bottlefed89 LawnSite Member

Jonsey's are gaining popularity, especially on Arboristsite. They are great saws from what I understand. I would buy a junker off ebay, and get $150 out of it, or even just sell your older one on ebay...

5. Turf Medic

Turf Medic LawnSite Bronze Member

If the old one runs good, I would keep it for a back up. Head on down to the local pawnshop, pick up the cheapest piece of junk you can find, spend $30 get your $150 discount and have two good saws.

6. mbricker

mbricker LawnSite Senior Member

Don't even spend $30 on a junker. Drive to the next town and go ask the saw shop there for anything that's trash, they might give it to you for nuttin'.

Yes, Jonsered is a good saw. Does the dealer have a good reputation for service?

7. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

This subject is almost as complex as the concept of what kind of firearm to buy. Everyone has a favorite.

Quality is not the only issue. Who can service a brand in your area, and how quickly?

I get Husqvarna and Stihl. Also have a little Echo, which I must say is awkward to remember that the gas and oil are backwards of most saws, and the wrench to tighten is an odd size. So it requires carrying a second wrench for the bar tightening whereas the former 2 require one since Stihl nuts use the spark plug socket part.