Joy Stick Or Twin Stick Steering

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by marley, Jun 4, 2002.

1. marley

marley LawnSite Member

I WOULD APPRECIATE ANY FEED BACK ABOUT THE PROS AND CONS WITH TWIN STICK OR JOYSTICK CONTROLS ON A ZTR. NOT MANY COMPANYS OFFER JOYSTICK CONTROLS. I HEAR THAT THEY ARE LESS FATIGUEING THAN TWIN LEVERS. IS THIS TRUE? THANKS IN ADVANCE.

2. bruces

bruces LawnSite Senior Member

I had a Snapper yard cruiser with a single joy stick. It was ok on flat ground but close to worthless on any kind of slope.

The twin sticks are much better.

3. Matt'slawncare

Matt'slawncare LawnSite Member

I know alot of people who wouldn't go back to the joystick, so i would go with the twin sticks. Thats all i use.

4. GreenQuest Lawn

GreenQuest Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

What do you do with your other hand if you have a joystick control? Hold a drink?

I have never understood the "fatigue" when using a ZTR. I have never been tired from running the levers.

5. BigJim

BigJim LawnSite Senior Member

You steer a Walkers twin sticks with 2 fingers on your left hand.Have to say I've certainally never had fatigued fingers at the end of the day.Sitting down all day helps to :D

bigjim front on walker.jpg

6. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Big Jim,
    Actually, my fingers have given me trouble after a long day on the Walker. but thats probably due to the fact that I have some arthritis troubles.:D

7. I tried a joystick mower once, "toy" comes to mind first.

I have use similar type in a skid steer. Takes some getting used to from the twin lever steering but doable. Not the same catagory, but do agree that they suck for hills like T-Bar steering.

Fatigue, everything will fatigue you in time.

8. FrankenScagMachines

FrankenScagMachines LawnSite Platinum Member
    from IN

Nice legs, BigJim! :D
    Bet your female customers love having you around huh?;)

Hehe....:p

:dizzy:

Just kidding!:D ;)

9. BigJim

BigJim LawnSite Senior Member

:blush: Phew had me worried for a minute there BushHogBoy,Yeah some of those old girls get so exited they can hardly hang on to their walking frames.:D

10. SLS

SLS LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mars

Big Jim:

What size deck is that on your Walker?

If it is a 60" deck it is no wonder that they call you "Big" Jim! :D