joystick and tearout

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by mdw, Apr 22, 2008.

1. mdw

mdw LawnSite Member

Do you experience tearout during turns with single joystick since you can't independently control the wheels?

Thanks
    Dave

2. tyaroch

tyaroch LawnSite Member
    from MI

I have been able to avoid tearing turf with a snapper mower with a joystick. You just have to practice.

3. pyromedic

pyromedic LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I mowed with a older Snapper/country Clipper Z1802K for about 8 yrs and maybe it was already worn out, but I never had an issue with tear out. It was always very responsive and had 1800 hrs on the hydros and were still operating when the 2nd engine when bellyup. I am now back on a twin stick and I am having to watch how I turn.

Stay safe and have a great season.

4. bantam

bantam LawnSite Member
    from iowa

Actually you can independently control BOTH wheels with the joystick, just like a 2-lever. In some ways maybe even better than a 2 lever machine?? I notice on Country Clipper that you can actually slow down how fast the wheels turn while doing a Z-turn (i.e. you cannot get 100% speed while in a Z-turn). Compare to a 2 lever you can get FULL speed forward on one wheel and FULL speed reverse on the other. Seems to me that is more aggressive to the turf and spin out compared to not having 100% speed while Z-turning???

5. TomTiernan

TomTiernan LawnSite Member

Dave, If you want to demo some of the Country Clipper joystick models - give the Pittsburgh area Country Clipper Rep Bob Murphy a call on his cell phone 724-321-6149 - he can set it up at a dealer nearest you. Tom