Joystick VS Twin lever ZTRs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Miller Mowing, May 10, 2003.

1. Miller Mowing

Miller Mowing LawnSite Member

I recently purchased a Snapper ZTR mower (made by Country Clipper) and it has the joystick steering control system on it. After owning several ZTRs with conventional twin lever controls, it took a bit to get on to, but now that I have ran it some I really like it! It leaves a free hand to hold back low hanging branches, wave to passing scrubs, and to hold a can of pop. I had not realized until about the time that I purchased this unit what an ongoing debate there is between manufacturers and/or owner operators on Joystick VS Twin lever steering systems. I can run either one easily, but after having both kinds I guess I prefer the joystick. (Remember this is just my opinion.) I was just curious what some of you other Lawnsite guys had to say about the two styles I:E Opinions on maneuverability, long hours of operation etc.

Thanks and be safe while mowing,

2. DLCS

DLCS LawnSite Platinum Member

Neal,

I have never operated a joystick ztr. I've always wondered how they do on rough terrain. I mean are you able to run straight lines better with twin sticks or the joystick, over rough terrain? Maybe its the same either way, I dunno. I just thought I'd ask.

3. Miller Mowing

Hi Mike. I would say in my opinion the Joystick system is very comparable to the Twin levers, as in mowing straight lines, up and down hills, circles, etc. I don't know if I can explain this very good or not but it seems like the joystick system does require less movement of the arm to travel in a straight line, as with the twin sticks it seems like you are always moving one or the other slightly to maintain straight travel. Also I personally like the Joysticks for mowing sideways on slopes. (yes I realize manufactures always say don't do this) It definitely works a little better for me anyway. I would guess it is more just a matter of the operators personal preference more than if one really is better than the other though. Just my opinion on any of this, but if you have any more questions just ask, and I hope you can sort of make sense out of my post. It is sort of hard to explain some things with out taking an actual drive with the machine I guess.

4. CTHOM

CTHOM LawnSite Member
    from MO

hi miller, three weeks ago i purchased a snapper one joystick control ztr. and i like it, their was a lot of hype about it on the site but it works for me. the first week was a jerky one. it is so responsive. my problem was i would try to move my hand as fast as the hydro, of course that was not the way to go. so i just slowed my hand movements, and it seemed to take care of the problem. i think you do need more than a day on it to make a judgments call on it. because my first day, i said what did i get myself in to?

5. teeca

teeca LawnSite Bronze Member

how does it do on hills???
    scares me to think of 1 joy stick vs. the the 2 control handles!

6. Richard Martin

Richard Martin LawnSite Fanatic

If you like to have 1 hand free while mowing take a test drive on a Dixie Chopper. The VTC (Velvet Touch Control) steering is extremely easy to use. The steering can virtually be done with 2 fingers on the same hand. If you are used to operating conventional ZTRs the VTC takes a bit of getting used to. Once you get used to it though you will never want to operate any other kind of steering again.

7. gravedigger5

gravedigger5 LawnSite Senior Member

On my Toro Z (same controls as Exmark) i do better with one hand on top of both levers than two hands when trying to make straight lines. My concern when using the joystick (especially in wet weather) is maintaining feel for tire movement vs control levers, knowing if drive tires are spinning or sliding. I'm sure you have to get use to something new. Wouldn't even mind trying one out if I had a chance just to see the difference. Marc

8. lawncare3

lawncare3 LawnSite Bronze Member

I operated a snapper joystick Ztr once and I thought it was o.k. but, it was kind of jerky.

9. grass-scapes

grass-scapes LawnSite Bronze Member

get a walker. I operate it with two fingers. Took about a day and a half to get the hang of it right, but now, SSSMMMMOOOOOTTTHHHH.

10. Miller Mowing

Thanks for your input everyone. I enjoyed reading it! :)

Work safe,