JRCO Aerator on a Walker: Anybody used one

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Mowingman, Feb 20, 2002.

1. Mowingman

Mowingman LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Texas

Anyone got any experience using the JRCO aerator that fits on a Walker? I would like to hear how good it works before I buy one.:)

2. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

just curious mowing man,

I am in the market for a pull behind aerator for my Walker also (actually in the fall I will be). What are the price on those from JRCO, or do they have a website? I had been looking at the Ryan's tow behind (not sure if that will hook up to the Walker?).

9 holes per sq foot, 400lbs and 4" coring depth!

MATT

3. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

http://www.jrcoinc.com/aerator2.html

This is the web site for Jrco. I would also like to know in any one has used the hooker aerator. This aerator is not a true CORE aerator. I've only talked to one guy who has tried this piece of equipment and he did not like it. If I remember right he said the tines did not penetrate down far enough unless the lawn was very wet. He also said the aerator would leave small piles of dirt instead of nice uniform plugs. But if any one has had a better experience with this aerator I think I would look into it a bit more.

• Zero-turn maneuverability around landscaping and walkways

• Up to 3" hole depth with soft plug aeration

• Dispenses loose plugs of soil -- no hard core plugs to clean up

• Does not tear the turfgrass

Productivity: 1.5 acres per hour (square pattern) @ 5 mph
    66,000 square feet per hour @ 5 mph

4. 2 man crew

2 man crew LawnSite Senior Member

Oops forgot the price.

Retail: $1499.00
    Mounting Bar: $83.00

5. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

As far and there were just small piles of dirt goes, the soil might of had a high content of sand. I had this happen once, with my Kees walk behind aerator, and the lady customer complained because her lawn did not have plugs laying all around. I brought her to the front lawn and had her stick her finger in the holes to prove to her that her lawn HAD been aerated. I still don't think she believed me.....lol, but I got my money!

MATT

6. captdevo

captdevo LawnSite Senior Member

i use a classen 48" pull behind and it does excellent (pay attention when turning)

i have used the jrco, they work ok, but they just don't pull a core, they kinda pierce and flip dirt out and don't work well unless the soil is moist or soft.

if you get around a tree with shallow roots, they tend to pull roots instead of cutting them like a corer.

they do manuever easily.

overall, you can't beat a pull behind core aerator for ease of use, productivity, performance and quality.

Dave

7. LawnLad

LawnLad LawnSite Senior Member

My recollection from talking with the Walker dealer at the CENTS show in Columbus last month was that the front mount core aerator was about $700.00. Optional to have electric lift. In addition, you have to have the 'hitch' attachment which allows you to put on attachments, like the dozer blade, snow blower etc. This is my recollection. Their video shows the aerator in action, though it's an aftermarket manufacturer. But it's not a scoop one like the JRCO one you mention/show.

hope this helps.

8. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

This was from a discussion awhile ago. Also type the words "jrco aerator" into the search function and you will get alot of threads discussing the aerator itself.

I have the JRCO aerator on my 60" Lazer. In some of my other posts I talked relatively highly about it.
    Well, the more I used it this year the more I disliked it. I think for it to be worthwhile it would have to be used on
    huge properties. Like 30,000 or 40,000 sq. ft. or larger, and be wide open. The reason being is that it doesn't turn
    well at all. You have to raise it up and back away from tight areas, then lower it back down and even with the
    electric lift it is very slow and time consuming. It also doesn't get close to landscape beds because it is much
    narrower than the mower it's attached to. After doing a good handful of jobs this year it became obnoxious to
    use. Also, all the dirt pulled up gets tracked all over and just loads the tires up and then makes a mess wherever
    you go, like on the road to the trailer, across any sidewalks, etc.. I guess now that I have it I am keeping it, but
    I will purchase a RYAN this year and would rather have spent the $1600 I payed for the JRCO towards the $5000
    cost of the RYAN. Live and learn. Aerating is good money and now I have to spend another season trying to
    recover equipment costs on a different one. It is great if you would do a sports field or something like that where
    you can make some long straight passes and big sweeping turns. I give it a thumbs down!

9. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I have to agree with Randy, I used a JRCO for a while last season and really didn't care for it. The unit tends to not work well in very moist soil. It will make a hole but the pattern isn't consistant. I had lots of trouble with the tines balling up with twigs and general lawn debris. If the soil was too moist it was a nightmare. I have lots of clay here and spent 30 minutes trying to clean the tines after a job.
    It is hard to maneuver in small places and an electric lift is a must however the the lift is slooowww.
    The concept is great for wide open areas with good moisture but I am an aeration purist as are many customers and nothin beats the little "dog turds" that a core aerator pulls.
    I am also sold on the aeravator concept and hope to drum enough biz up to pay for one this summer.
    I purchased a small diesel tractor with a cat 1 three pt hitch and pto to do my aerating/aeravating work. The Walker was ok with the Jrco and it did pull a tow behind cheapy but I want a dedicated larger area unit and I Hate walking behind a bone shaker.
    Good Luck,

10. crew

crew LawnSite Member

I have a jrco on a lazer 60 and agree, to an extent, with the negative posts.
    In the right conditions this unit is VERY productive. It takes some creativity to operate smoothly - more like a zamboni than a mower if you want to keep the tines down.

I bought mine as a demo unit and have made some dough with it. not sure what I would trade it for????I rented a split drive Clausen last year and cant imagine doing all the aerating I do with one of those. No trouble sleeping those nights!!

The jrco is easy to transport, easy to maintain, doesnt take up much space in the shop, easy to attach and remove. Besides all this, those "dog turds" are freaky to mow over.