Jrco aerator

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by salandscape, Mar 24, 2008.

1. salandscape

salandscape LawnSite Member

Has anyone used the JRCO hooker aerator? What do you think? Let me know any pros and cons.Thanks
  2. salandscape

42 views and not 1 opinion!
  3. salandscape

anyone, please anyone?
  4. columbiaplower

columbiaplower LawnSite Senior Member

Ive used one and was not that impressed. I like a nice core and this has spoon type tines. Why are you considering one? So you can mount it on the Zero Turn?
  5. grassgirl4

grassgirl4 LawnSite Member

I'll take a stab at it :)

I have one and like it, but mine is not the popular view on LawnSite :( I've shamefully actually only used it once...last fall on my yard. I bought it Spring '06 but just never promoted the service because I didn't have a small aerator unit to hit the spots the JRCO couldn't reach and didn't want to leave a property incomplete. I still don't have a small unit, so I still have not promoted the service.

However, contrary to popular opinion on here, I like the unit. When I tried it on my yard (around 1ish acres), I felt it did a good job...tines penetrated the soil about 3 inches deep and covered a respectable amount of surface area in the aerator's 38" width/swath. I know everyone is used to the plug-type aerator and seeing plugs all over the yard, so maybe that plays into the plug unit bias...don't know...

I guess run a search on JRCO and read what others have to say and then use your own discretion. I don't see a problem with the JRCO...in fact, both my dad and I were quite impressed with the job it did. One negative point that was posed by another member is that it is not heavy enough when going over the ground. I don't know how heavy an aerator has to be, but I can tell you that the JRCO is pretty-darn heavy. I just looked at the JRCO website, and it listed the shipping weight at 198lbs. My dad and I have lifted it (and both of us are pretty strong), and it's no easy task...lifting it from the ground, that is...