Jrco Attachments

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by MWS LAWN, Aug 16, 2002.

1. MWS LAWN

MWS LAWN LawnSite Member

I have priced the aerator and spreader from Jrco. I was trying to see if anyone has purchased anyone of the two of these attachments? The aerator cost 1499.00, and the heavy duty spreader cost 899.00. The aerator is my main concern because of the way it is made and how it works. You can check it out at Jrcoinc.com. I would be useing it on my 60in. Lazer Z. If anyone has any better ideas of aerators that would attach to the Lazer please let me know. Thanks

2. Administrator

Administrator Administrator

Do a search on the subject.. you will find lots of past discussions.

3. Albemarle Lawn

Albemarle Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

From the looks of the picture on the JRCO website it appears to be only a spike aerator.

Also, you couldn't have much weight in front of a ZTR and still be able to turn very well, esp on hills.

I use my ZTR to tow a heavy tow-behind core aerator. I had it custom made starting with an Agri-Fab, then reinforcing the draw bar and created sides so it holds 6 solid cinder blocks.

(total weight 6 blocks x 70 lb/each = 420 lbs + 250 lb machine = 670 lbs total on a 44" aerator)

It does an AWESOME job, I will post a pic. I tow it behind my Gravely 260Z, and the machine has no problem towing it even tows it well going up slopes.

Ken

4. Albemarle Lawn it is a Hooker aerator, it drives knives in the ground that scoop out loose cores.

I assume that is the reason it is not well liked because it seems to only work good in certain soil conditions.

5. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I was told by the owner that they've improved the aerating effectiveness by changing some of the angle of the spoons, so the forward force of the mower pushes the spoons in and deeper, but the main downside that everyone has mentioned on these, is the number of holes per sq. ft. as compared to a regular aerator. You have to go over the area twice to equal the same amount of holes.

6. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

I'm curious about these units too. I hear the concerns that you have to make two passes to equal the job done by a roll-type core aerator. That's true. But hey, if I can RIDE my lazer Z at 5mph rather than walk behind my Ryan aerator, slogging in the mud, at maybe 2.5 mph, heck, I'll make 3 passes. With the better speed and wider swath, it'd still be faster and a LOT less tiring.

I have a tow behind aerator, but it is a pain to load/unload on the trailer and I still have to load the walk behind unit for areas where the tow-behind won't reach. The hooker is a step in the right direction. I would like to see a true core type aerator that is made to work with ztr mowers. Btw, I think all aerators are somewhat overpriced. My Ryan cost me $1700 years ago and it has a mediocre $150 engine on it. Must be the low production volumes that keep prices up. Some unpowered tow behind aerators cost more than that! I use a cheapo model I got at Home Depot and it does a pretty good job, though I do make two passes to get good results. I don't aerate enough to make more expensive units worthwhile.

7. bry

bry LawnSite Member

you need to check out the gator-rator.com its a front mount aerator for ztr's that applies down pressure it work awsome.

8. Five Star Lawn Care LLC

Five Star Lawn Care LLC LawnSite Bronze Member

Commercial Lawnmower in Livonia has got one on a bunton ZTR, i didnt really get a chance to see it in action but the overall design looks sweet.....they need to start making it bigger, why not go with a 60" path, i dont quite understand that. if they made it with a 60" width i would deffinatlly consider adding it to my fleet