JRCO Broadcast Spreader?????????

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by horseman201, Nov 24, 2004.

1. horseman201

horseman201 LawnSite Member

Looking at getting a JRCO Broadcast Spreader and wanted to see if any of you have one and what you think about it. Looks like it would cut out on alot of walking but you still couldn't get ride of the walkbehind broadcaster.

2. GrassBustersLawn

GrassBustersLawn LawnSite Senior Member

I bought one & LOVED it. Right up to the point where I slid downhill & hit a tree with it, TOTALLING the spreader. Just glad I didn't damage my LazerHP or ME in the process! With a full load, the weight is all up front and you have NO STEERING CONTROL on a hill (or slight grade). Also, the lightweight plastic & aluminum that the spreader is made from doesn't hold up very well to running into objects such as a TREE!

It saves so much time in applications that I ran out and bought another one the next week. Especially on bigger properties, it cuts your spreading time (and FATIGUE) by 2/3rds or more.

Only negative I can see with them is they are VERY SENSITIVE. The little spinny thing is made of light aluminum & can get bent easily. CAREFULLY open and close the gate. Mine is a foot opener, don't push it TOO hard or you'll bend the little arm. Do it gently!

Well worth the BUCKS IMHO!

Mike

3. horseman201

Sorry to hear about your luck. I would think a tree would be rough on one of those things. Glad to see that you went out and bought another though. I have one property that is on a slite hill but there is not many trees to worry about. This looks like something that would help my business.

4. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Iv'e got a lesco "truckster" spreader that i can mount on the front of one of my dixons. There isn't a lot of time savings using a spreader like this but there sure as heck is a labor savings! It's a cheap alternative to a real ride on spreader and mine seems to work well. Iv'e only seen the Jrco in their ads but i have their dethatcher rake and love it, seems very well constructed. As for loosing traction when having the hopper full, yes it will happen! either get some wheel weights or, if you have a grass catcher, leave it about half full or throw some weight in there. seems to improve the traction greatly.

5. horseman201

Thanks Jason. The idea about leaving my vac box on the back is a good idea to keep the mower from slidding.

6. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

JRCO Electric spreader -- Zero problems - great piece of pricy equipment. No red face and pounding chest for this old lco. I have a Earthway 2400 SS for the tiny lawns all the rest get the Z and JRCO.

BobR

7. horseman201

Thanks BobR. Does the broadcaster come with a top to keep seed/fertilizer from spilling out?

8. BobR

BobR LawnSite Senior Member

HORSEMAN201 - sure does and it is very nice, constructed of clear vinyl, fabric and elastic (keeps the wind and rain out of your product).

BobR

9. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

A friend of mine had the JRCO unit on his Lazer and liked it until I got a Lesco truckster for my Z. You can buy 3 - 4 of the trucksters for the price of one JRCO. Don't get me wrong, the JRCO unit is great, but as far as more for your m9oney is concerned the Lesco unit wins hands down. I welded a receiver hitch onto the front of my deck to mount it and it works great. Easy on and off with just one pull of a pin. Another plus is that parts for the Lesco unit are readily availible from your local Lesco dealer.

10. horseman201

Mowerman90, could you get me a picture of this and the way you mounted it on your mower. Thanks,