JRCO Dethatcher/Rake

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by MattsMowing3535, Oct 16, 2006.

1. MattsMowing3535

MattsMowing3535 LawnSite Senior Member

Does anyone use the JRCO Dethatcher that mounts to the front of mowers. I want to get into some dethatching in the spring, But I cant afford a dethactcher and the JRCO one seemed like it might work well and would be nicer that a power rake. What do you all think of it that have used it? Any opinions on what to charge for useing the rake vs. a power rake?
  2. RLW

RLW LawnSite Member

I've never used the JRCO. Check with your local rental companies.I found my initial one for $200. Runs great and payed for itself in few.Bonus they are required to maintain them to factory Spec's. Best place to look when cost is an issue.
  3. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

They (the JRCO) are nothing but awesome. As far as de-thatching,...no. They do an AWESOME job at rakeovers and do remove alot of stuff. They save so much time and effort for spring cleanups,..and they pay for themselves rather quickly. Anyway, do a search and you'll find a great deal if info on this subject.
  4. MattsMowing3535

MattsMowing3535 LawnSite Senior Member

Alright, I was searching for mostly dethatching with them. I will try searching mostly just for them. Thankyou though!
  5. Raven386

Raven386 LawnSite Silver Member
    from CT

i know someone who has the JRCO dethatcher mounted on a lesco belt driven w/b. it works awesome. does a very good job and is fairly easy to attach and take off. the only bad thing about it is that it was on belt w/b. i think he told me last year he was charging 3X the price of the lawn, + to get rid of the thatch. he runs the mower with the thatcher over the lawn, then over it twice with the catcher to pick it all up.
  6. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

Thats what we use ours for also. :cool2:
  7. naturescape

naturescape LawnSite Bronze Member

The JRCOs are AWESOME. But as Runner said, not to dethatch. Dethatching is a joke anyway. You'd be better off aerating if you're concerned about your thatch layer, it will do more to reduce thatch than using a dethatcher. The amount of material removed may seem impressive with a dethatcher, but you'll be way ahead aerating.
  8. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

I haven't been without one going on 10+ years now.

They make life so easy, especially if you get a property that wasn't cleaned in the fall, so all the leaves are matted down.

Just set the tines so they just barely scrape the soil, and you'll have that yard clean in no time.

The biggest problem that I see most guys that use them, is they set them too deep, and try to get out on a property to early in the season right after the snow melt, and they end up tearing up a property more than cleaning it.

When I first ran them, I used them on Toro belt drive walkbehinds. It was okay, but the belts would slip alot. If you're using it on a ZTR, absolutely, spend the $5-600 for one!!!
  9. David W

David W LawnSite Senior Member

I love mine on my ztr...defintley worth the $$$. They work well for just scratching the surface and removing the debris. I usually use mine for spring and fall clean-ups and also in the summer for removing turf that can get matted down.

Looking forward to buying a smaller one for my walk-behind next year.