JRCO dethatcher

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by a+elawnserviceww, Apr 1, 2006.

1. a+elawnserviceww

a+elawnserviceww LawnSite Member
    from nj

i am look at jrco dethatcher. most the time i rake my lawn by hand but i seen the 36 inch jrco dethatcher and was wounder if the jrco dethatcher does as good as do by hand. also will it get the little branch and the leave that got stuck in the lawn over the winter that the mower will not suck up.

2. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

The jrco dethatcher will do a very good job but I don't recommend the leaf plow. good luck:waving:

3. jim dailey

jim dailey LawnSite Senior Member

I have one, that I have used for years. It is NOT the answer to sliced bread, but it works just fine for me. What I do is use it behind a W/B. I will run over the lawn in two opposing directions, without the blades on, and without the basket on. Then I add the basket and "CUT" the lawn in the other two opposing directions, all with the dethatcher down. If needed, use the mower one last time, without the dethatcher, to make the lawn look really sharp. Sometimes, on other lawns, where I want to really make an impression, I will use it, LIGHTLY, just to set down some nice stripes for the rest of the season.

4. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing LawnSite Senior Member
    from ma

o dont say that i just spent $500 on one today:dizzy:

5. chriscraft

chriscraft LawnSite Senior Member

Ours just collects dust lol we use a billy goat dethatcher and bag it up with trac vac still

6. dcondon

dcondon LawnSite Silver Member

We used ours 4 times and sold it!!!!! :angry:

7. Mgardner

Mgardner LawnSite Member

I used a 60" JRCO dethatcher all day. I push piles of sticks and dethatch ,then vacuum with a trac vac hangin on the Z. Lotta dust sometimes but . I plan on getting the leaf plow. I wish every fall I had bought one. I made a homemade leaf plow and hit a stinkin boulder some moron had stuck on the corner of a berm and twisted the plow like a pretzle. Blow all the piles out,leaf plow them to the curb, then track vac the rest,screw tarpin.:weightlifter:

8. wski4fun

wski4fun LawnSite Senior Member

I love mine. Cut my time in half atleast. I dethatch once then go over the lawn with my backpack and finally give it a cut with the blades lowered. Only problem it's a pain to replace broken tines.

9. wriken

wriken LawnSite Silver Member

As far as the plow, we have better luck pulling the pin, on the height adjuster lever, thus allowing the deck all the way down, then to use the plow. Glad i got rid of it. A 2x12 would work better.:)
    The dethatcher works great though.

10. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I have the JRCO dethatcher,...have had it for several years, and I can't even BEGIN to tell you how much it has made and paid for itself over and over. I can't get by without it for spring cleanups.