jrco dethatcher

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Leone LawnCare, Mar 18, 2003.

1. Leone LawnCare

Leone LawnCare LawnSite Member

hey would it be worth it for me to get a jrco for spring clean up. how effective is it in scraping things up?

2. Greener Side

Greener Side LawnSite Member

They are definitely worth it. Used one in front of a 52 Scag hydro and it worked great. The only problem is taking turns, You have to go really slow so it doesnt rip up the lawn or worse, break the tines

3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I Have 11 I thought I Had 12. That should say something.
    John.

421resized.jpg

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

This is the ultimate accesory for doing spring cleanups that have leaves matted into the turf. EsPECially if no fall cleanup was done. Works great for gather willow tree whips, too.

5. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

Great money maker. We have the 60" model mounted on one of our Ferris 61" WB's. Run a Trac Vac 470 collection system with it. Dethatch and vac at the same time.

Can you say cha-ching :D?

6. Lawn-N-Garden Guy

Lawn-N-Garden Guy LawnSite Senior Member

How much do you pay for one of these combers,and where do I get one.

7. Phishook

Phishook LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm going to get one this week, but I havn't made up my mind on what size. 61" GD Charriot with out a vac, 50" Bunton with vac, or 48" Encore belt WB with catcher.

Leaning twards one for the Bunton. Those go for about $250, right?

8. hoyboy

hoyboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Chicago

Can someone please compare the results of the JRCO dethatcher with the results of a typical dethatcher such as Bluebird, etc. Does it do the same thing, worse, better?

I usually run a dethatcher in the Spring and then overseed and topdress with peatmoss. Will the JRCO be a good substitute or does it not pull up as much.

thanks!

Dan Norton
    Hoy Landscaping, Inc.

9. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

The 60" unit we bought I think we paid about $450 or so. that was 2 years ago. We got it through our dealer.

10. SDlawndawg

SDlawndawg LawnSite Member

Just ordered one yesterday. $470 for the 46" model and bracketry. I will probably still use my snapper power rake in small areas or uneven terrain. It will be interesting to see how much debris the jrco thatcher will pull out. I've heard going opposite directions helps get most of the thatch out. I know this thing will save me time and most of all ENERGY. Walking behind that small power rake is like mowing huge lawns with a 21" mower.