1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

JRCO front mount dethatcher?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by bigjeeping, Feb 25, 2007.

1. bigjeeping

bigjeeping LawnSite Senior Member

I'm thinking of putting one on my Z with a bagger... Anyone already have this combo, or use one at all?

Dethatching is a HUGE money maker over here. If you can dethatch and cleanup in one sweep that would be GREAT$$$ payup
  2. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

I do it with a 61" WB and 470 Trac Vac collection system for spring cleanups.
  3. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

I have one as well. They work pretty well. There is a misnomer here, the spring tine rakes do not "dethatch" they simply remove dead grass and clean the surface up. Be aware of this before advertising dethatching and using the rake.

Also it DOES take a good bit of time to use. Once over is ok just for a quick clean-up to get up the few leaves that are embedded in the grass and fluff the grass up, but it's not going to clean it out like a powerrake would. Making 2 passes is the best, and what I'd do if I was trying to clean out a lawn, I'd make a pass down and then turn 180 deg. and make a pass back right over the pass I just made. Depending on how "bad" the lawn is, you will get a LARGE amount of debris. Dumping every couple passes was not that uncommon for me and the catcher on my mower is 8 bushels. Reguardless, it's still faster than running a powerrake, then trying to suck it up, but not exactly the same job...
  4. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I find that going side to side on the lawn for the first pass then go up and down or toss a diagonal in while dethatching works better.

I get great results from doing the double pass over the entire lawn. Usually the second time trough I turn on the blades and ultra vac. Then a third time over to do a final cleanup. A quick walk through with a rake and barrel of the junk in any depressions and lawn is done.

So obviously I got dethatcher on my Lazer 60". Works good. Like said before me it is not a true dethatching but does get a lot of debris out of the lawns.
  5. bigjeeping

Would it be too much weight on a Z to have both the dethatcher and a bagger?

Also.. my old dethatching method was using one of those pull behind units with about 100lbs on top of it. What weighs down the front of the JRCO? or does it work fine without any weight on it?
  6. Jason Rose

It needs no weight, it does 100% better than the pull behind units as it is. Whats neat about it is that you can lift it up and hook it in a transport position to get from A to B on the property. It also can fold up 90 degrees for saving space while mounted to the mower for trailering. The JRCO bar is bolted to the mower, the rake is attached to that. Once you have done it a time or three, you can hook the rake up or take it off in under a minute.

There's no problem using the catcher with the rake, that's the whole idea!
  7. PearceLawn

PearceLawn LawnSite Senior Member

Was thinking about a dethatcher for my Dixon. Either one from JRCO or a pull behind but it would be nice to dethatch and bag in one pass. With the pull behind I would have to stop and switch.

Thoughts/comments on both?
    Where did you get your dethatcher?
    How much, if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks in advance.
  8. Jason Rose

You see my opinion of the JRCO versus the pull type in the post above. Where I got it, actually I don't recall, I've had it like 7 or 8 years now. I remember I ordered it, I think straight from the factory, but I may well be wrong. There are different mounting bars for a lot of different mowers. The fact that they even HAD one to fit my Dixon suprised me. As for a price, well I know there IS catalogs (and online) you can order them out of, along with lots of other JRCO attachments.
  9. Lawnsmithcare

Lawnsmithcare LawnSite Senior Member

I just ordered one last week and it should be in soon so i am hopeing it works out nice.
  10. bigjeeping

How much did it run ya? What size?