1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

JRCO Products

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Lawn-Scapes, Aug 18, 2001.

1. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

I'm looking at getting the spreader, dethatcher and aerator. I'm most interested in your feedback on the dethatcher and aerator. To me the aerator does not look heavy duty enough for the hard, rocky soil here.

Any problems? How much are they?

All info will be appreciated!!
  2. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

The dethatcher works pretty good. If you get one, get at least a dozen extra tines since they do break if you have it set down so the tines are doing their job. It's not like you will break hundreds of them, but this spring, I went through about 40 of them. You break about 1 an acre if that helps. :) As far as price, I'd have to look. It's been about 6 years ago I got it and it seems like it was about $450 and it was assembled. If it is shipped to you, it is in pieces.

I've talked to some that have the spreader and most like it.

I wouldn't think the aerator would work well unless the soil was very moist and soft, or all us LS members would have one. I think they are fairly pricey too.

I wasn't crazy about their mount, so I made my own that works much easier and I can take it off with 1 pin. :)
  3. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks for the reply. If you peek back in here... I know you have the pull behind aerator from lesco (right?) and wanted to know which size you have and how easy/difficult it is to get off and on the trailer. I have a 6 x 12 enclosed... the opening is (I think) 61" or 62" inches wide. My lazer just squeezes in. I don't know how wide the 60" aerator is.. but I would like to be able to back it into the trailor. I believe it weighs in at 250lbs. I don't think this is gonna happen though.
  4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I have the model 48 which is 48" wide, but aerates 42" and it weighs 325 lbs. It is very easy to back up since it has transport wheels and a very long tongue. You will have to unhook it when you get in the trailer. My diesel Chopper and the aerator hooked up takes up most of my 14' trailer when hooked up. Now a 14' long aerator sounds very hard to maneuver, but it is very simple to get around with it. Anything with 2 wheel hooked up to a ZTR is very easy to back up.

If you get this aerator, let me know. I'll show you how to make those transport wheels into guage wheels. ;)
  5. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I have all three products you mentioned from JRCO. The dethatcher works good like Eric said. Spare tines are handy. The broadcast spreader works well also. It is a life saver on those big properties. The aerator also works excellent. I was a little reluctant at first just by looking at the design and theory behind it, but I am quite happy with the results. It is incredible how quick you can cover ground with it being mounted to a ZTR. It also has the electric lift which is slick. Production is much faster than a walkbehind. You are limited on certain properties though because of it's size. I would definately recommend all three products.
    Aerator-Electric lift-$1500
  6. Premo Services

Premo Services LawnSite Bronze Member

I am very interested in this, how does it do on semi dry ground??
  7. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

mow money - I feel the aerator works decent on semi-dry ground. I haven't tried it on the extreme dry ground like we have had this summer here in the midwest. And now in the last week we've received rain a couple times and it has started to close up the inch wide cracks in the soil. I probably should've tested it a few weeks ago when it was like concrete just for a test. The mounting bracket it goes to is adjustable and you can put it lower than the recommended adjustment so it applies a little more down force to get into the soil. It does pull out a pretty good amount of soil and goes as deep as they say. It just appears that it may not be as good as a core aerator because it doesn't pull up the perfect little plugs that they do. It pulls up a pretty good chunk of turf but in a relatively non-uniform type of plug on a goofy kinda angle. You can definately tell that there is a good hole being made with decent penetration. The metal strength seems good and haven't bent or broke any of the tines so far. That's about all I can say about it.

SCAPEASAURUSREX LawnSite Senior Member

I have the dethatcher attachment on my 48" Lesco walk behind, belt drive. I think it's an excellent investment, saves alot of time over a traditional thatching machine/power rake. The only problem I have is that when the ground is soft and wet the tines dig into the ground and jacknife the machine with the attachment. The tines do break occasionally , but not as much as the crap rubber things on my encore power comb...