jrco rake:just bought one.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tomoaktree, Apr 17, 2001.

1. tomoaktree

tomoaktree LawnSite Member
    from WNY

Dealer installed my jrco Fri. Came home , made a couple swipes and found out my deck would not raise up. Got pissed and disconnected the whole thing.
    Dealer said they would re-install it but I'm not sure I want to keep it. Then again , I'm not sure they would take it back.
    I bought it because I thought it would assist my spring cleanups.
    Does anyone have one who is happy with it?
    Does it work? (make money?).
    Can you use it for anything else besides cleanups?
    What do you tell the customers it is doing and how do you charge?
    Should I keep it?
    Please help.

2. thisismurph

thisismurph LawnSite Member

my third spring with my rake and is a real time saver. have a peco vac system on my ztr bobcat and can zip thru clean-ups. I power rake all my own accounts and pick up thacthing jobs as i go. Lots of people stop and ask for estimates.

3. Jim White

Jim White LawnSite Member

I've got a similar set-up a Bobcat ZTR with a PECO vac system and 60" JRCO rake that I've been using since last spring. The rake for what it cost will earn its keep in less than one day. Before I got the Z I had one installed on my Walk-Behind at 48" Snapper-Pro. I used a Grass Gobbler Bagger with the 2 ft. extension to increase the capacity (installed wheels on back of extension becuase it was to heavy to carry)

I think the Rake is the best thing since sliced bread. It dethaches nicely (not as good a power rake) and will comb all the sticks a branches out of the lawns. Pretty much every LCO in my area uses one.

4. Randy Scott

Randy Scott LawnSite Bronze Member

I don't know what mower you have but you have to find the right location with the mounting bar in the correct position to have everything work together with the rake. I found out when I was mounting mine and thought I was done to find out my front wheels wouldn't swivel on my lazer. I had to move the bar forward a little bit. No big deal, relax, you should be able to figure it out. I'm surprised your dealer didn't test that also.
    As far as it working, the thing kicks butt. It paid for itself in no time. Aside from it's intended use of dethatching, it's great for grouping everything together for cleanups. You market it by selling dethatching to your customers, that's what it is. It isn't really sold as a cleanup tool as much as a dethatcher. It works great for both but I think JRCO designed it for dethatching. I used it along a road on a property to get some of the snow mold and small stones off the turf and that was the first area to turn green this week. I suggest keeping it, you'll be happy once you get it going. :)

5. Rodg

Rodg LawnSite Member

When considering your next ZTR-think about a Walker! They have a nice little rake that works on any of their mowers and it does a nice job. It's so simple to put on and take off it's disgusting! A rake will pay for itself easily in just a week or two. In those years where you don't need to power rake a client's lawn (nothing beats a good 'ole fashioned power rake!), the rake I put on the front of my 16HP Walker works great. Just a thought...

6. Strawbridge Lawn

Strawbridge Lawn LawnSite Senior Member

I used my de-thatching rake once this Spring, but figure on using it more in the fall for seed bed prep.

7. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

I bought a JRCO rake about 6 years ago. I sure like mine. I did make a new mount for it so it goes into a reciever hitch. Slide it in the reciever hitch and put in one pin to mount it is much quicker than the setup they have.

Pick up some extra tines because you will break some of them. :)

8. Matt

Matt LawnSite Member

We just bought one for our JD455 that has a bagger on it. Does agreat job at both clean up and thatching. We are very happy with the decision and will see a great return on the investment.

9. tomoaktree

tomoaktree LawnSite Member
    from WNY

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I guess I will keep it and see how it goes.
    1) Are the tines easy to replace?
    2) How much would you charge for dethatching a lawn that would cost $20.00 to mow?
    3) Do you need to adjust the wheels much? My dealer said the tines should not drag along , they should touch and go. Is this how it should work?
    Thanks again.

10. Jim White

Jim White LawnSite Member

There should be two places to adjust the height. The first place is on the bracket that is attached to your machine. I know on mine there are screws on the back of it which will allow the bracket to slide up and down. The other place to make adjustment is on the front casters. The height adjustment on these is set by a allen head set screw in the bushing. I normally have mine set so that the tines are about 3/4" to 1" from the ground on a flat paved surface. Once in a while though I will adjust the front casters to go in more or less depending on how much thatch is in the lawn.

As for pricing its pretty hard to give it to you straight. Most of the time I am doing this as a spring clean-up which may include alot of other things. To be on the safe side though I would estimate at 2.5 to 3 time a mowing charge, for just thatching, mainly because you have to pick up the stuff and haul it away. The other thing to consider when quoting these jobs is all the lawn stuff you will need to go around. The rake works well but it is tough to get into tight places and have it be effective. You will most likley need to take care of these areas by hand raking.