JRCO thatcher rake mounted on a Walker.

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Jason Rose, Jan 13, 2008.

1. Jason Rose

Jason Rose LawnSite Fanatic

Funny, when you look at the JRCO rakes, they don't have models available for Walker mowers... Of course I think they they make the one that's painted Walker yellow for walker to sell...

I have had this one for years now, just last year I re-engineered it to fit on my Dixon Kodiak (it was originally made for the Dixon 5023) Well, I never got to use it on the Kodiak, and then I traded it off this last summer. So I decided today to re-re-engineer it and make it fit onto my 48" walker!

I thought it was going to be a PITA project, but I had the cables with the turnbuckels on them from my Lesco truckster spreader that I would mount of the front of the Dixon. Those worked perfect, plus a bit of chain I had laying around, to hold the top on the brackets. All I had to do was a couple small welds and some adjustments to make it work 100%.

I doubt I'll even use it this year... But at least I know that I can if I need too. Only takes 5 minutes or so to install it.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

Nice mod Jason but I have had such good luck with Walkers version I would never switch. I also have a JRCO mounted on a Toro WB and the JRCO does work but not as well as Walkers. Along with that I can snap that Walker rig on in 10 seconds and take it off in 5. My only b1Tch is the cost of replacement tines but I have to complain about something.
    Think Spring.

3. Jason Rose

I've never seen the Walker one in person, just the little pictures they have on their website. Just curious, how much does the walker version cost?

The tines on the JRCO one aren't cheap either, like $3 something each I think. I used it for years and never broke a tine, then a couple years back I used it on like 3 lawns and it broke a dozen!

4. AL Inc

AL Inc LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks good Jason, that is a real money maker for spring clean-ups. Good luck with it.

5. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

The Walker unit is somewhere around 200 bucks give or take. Money well spent as that unit helps me make a significant amount of green come springtime. I would pay double that if I had to.

6. Jason Rose

wow, that's all? I would have guessed around $400. I think the JRCO rake, when I bought it some 8 years ago was like $350 with the attachment bar you have to buy with those. I remember, at the time it was a lot of money, lol.

7. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

I use a Sears rake on my Walker. Its a push rake for a tractor. Cost $ 110. I used a piece of electrical strut. It mounts on the front forks with U muffler clamps. Bought
    replacement tines from Agway. or Sears parts.Ed

8. MikeLT1Z28

MikeLT1Z28 LawnSite Bronze Member

i could have sworn a couple of years ago that jrco had a picture of their dethatcher on a walker...

my dealer's price for the walker branded one is either 149 or 199, i priced it last year.

9. LandscaperPro

LandscaperPro Sponsor

10. tallimeca

tallimeca LawnSite Bronze Member

they do make a rake for walker. They make them for just about everything. Even if they don't list it, if you call them, they can tell you what brackets to order.

The last walker rakes I saw, didn't have as many tines as the JRCO. I know the JRCO was much more expensive. We sell a bunch though. The tines hold up quite well. Very rare to sell replacement tines.