1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by philmacrakken, Apr 29, 2007.

1. philmacrakken

philmacrakken LawnSite Member

I just bought a Jrco dethatcher used from a friend. He didn't have any paperwork with it at all. I'm sure there must be a correct height to adjust the tines for optimum effect, but I don't know what that is. Can anyone help??
  2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

I set them 1/4 to 1/2" off the ground (park on flat blacktop or cement) depending on how deep I want to dig.
  3. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

good idea, but I have found it changes from job to job
  4. Uranus

Uranus LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Mass

I have mine within a quarter inch of the ground. I find it is a happy medium for all lawns.
  5. RedMax Man

RedMax Man LawnSite Platinum Member

When you using it just make sure it's not flexing way back to far the its damaging the turf. Sometimes you'll go over low areas or high areas where the tines will rake or not touch.
  6. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Somewhat off topic, but do the JRCO spring-tine rake dethatchers work fairly well?

I realize they're not going to remove the amount of thatch that a power rake will, but at the same time some customers just want a light dethatching without beating up the turf too badly.

I'm considering purchasing one for my WB for next season.
  7. rodfather

rodfather LawnSite Fanatic

yes they do and if you combine them with a collection system like we do on our WB's, your customers will really appreciate the way you leave their lawn after you are finished
  8. mow & snow

mow & snow LawnSite Member

I have a Jrco rake and bag on my 36" and 52" wb and they work great!
  9. jrc lawncare

jrc lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Love mine, we ours on a turf tracers.
  10. fiveoboy01

fiveoboy01 LawnSite Silver Member

Thanks rod, I've made my mind up now. Prob will get 2 of them, one for each Turf Tracer.