1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

JS63 Hard Starting

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Husky03, Aug 15, 2004.

1. Husky03

Husky03 LawnSite Senior Member

I have had this mower now for about 2 months and it still is not easy to start. I thought in the beginning it just needed some time to loosen up but it still does not seem right. When cold after priming it takes atleast 3-4 hard pulls and some time even 5 or 6 pulls. After it is warmed up I would think it would start on the first pull. It still does not. It sometimes takes 2 pulls when warm to get it started. This is not a huge problem, but I just want to make sure there is not a defect with the engine before the warranty goes out or the engine blows. Is this normal? All of my other push mowers always start on the first or second pull even when cold.;) Anyways, you guys are probably going to tell me to take it in and get it looked. I try to avoid this because my John Deere dealer does not have an extremely fast turn around time and especially not for push mowers. I use this mower a lot and cannot be without it if there is not a serious problem. Is this normal or is something wrong?

2. Husky03

Does anyone have any ideas?
  3. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

I had the same trouble on my proline. the problem was that the little round clamp that goes on the recoile starter rope was adjusted to low, I pulled it up and it starts on the first pull.
  4. hotwired

hotwired LawnSite Member
    from maine

I have that same mower I think. I believe you have to pay attention the safetey handle cable. It's a weird configuration and you have to make sure it's adjusted enough so that when youhold the handle you're getting spark. Sometimes it might be "just there" so it's getting spark, then not, ya know??
  5. Husky03

I will have to take a look at that cable. I will give you an update when I have time to look at it.