July 16, 2007 Encounters

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by PurpHaze, Jul 17, 2007.

1. PurpHaze

PurpHaze LawnSite Fanatic

Some of the things I ran into yesterday at work.

Pic #1/#2: Had a valve with weep-by that a neighbor across the street from a middle school was worried about breeding mosquitos and West Nile disease. Down the street is this park with a ponding basin.

Pic #3: Because the original brass fire hydrant caps are being stolen the replacement caps are now plastic.

Pic #4: Screw with the Flow Control and you end up with a hung valve that stays on all weekend. It's saturated under all these portable buildings.

Pic #5: New submersible pump; old turbine pump crapped out to 22 GPM.

July 16 2007 001.jpg

July 16 2007 002.jpg

July 16 2007 003.jpg

July 16 2007 004.jpg

July 16 2007 005.jpg

2. Kiril

Kiril LawnSite Fanatic

Nice water feature with pretty blooms. Does the school board have to pay extra for that? :)

3. PurpHaze

No... the mosquitos are free. :)

4. PurpHaze

Here's a sampling of what we've been doing today. Our Adult School site got vandalized and we've already replaced 84 sprinklers (PGJs; MP-Rotators, 4" & 6" spray pop-ups, I-20s, plus numerous spray nozzles downstream that were clogged) today and just the material costs at this point are over $700. I figure we still have about half a day's work tomorrow and another 30 sprinklers to replace. Good thing is they caught the 11-year-old little sheister who lives across the street with his grandmother and there's a police report on the whole issue. Don't know what they'll finally charge them but my personal opinion is that they should castrate the little bastard.

Adult School Vandalism 7-17-07 IV-01.jpg

5. Was it running when he V'd it or did he just tear up heads for the sake of it?

6. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

Hayes-awsome pics man! as par the course...

I suggest you make that little bastid bury ever one of them heads as punishment or swim in west Nile ponding basin for a day!!!!!!

7. PurpHaze

Thanks. I just like taking pictures of various things. Maybe I should of realized this years ago and chosen a different life path. Only problem is that cameras and photography were way too complicated back then and now they're so easy with the advent of digital cameras and instant color printing.

A friend of mine who is a professional photographer saw a couple of the pics I took while on vacation in winter on our WA trip and suggested I enter them in this year's county fair. He's especially fond of a black/white looking one of an old barn with silver frost and wanted a copy so I printed it out for him.

In reality I'll never be able to say or do anything to him. :)

8. PurpHaze

It was running at night between the hours of 9:30 pm and 6:00 am. Based on the zones that have been vandalized so far he was there quite a long time. When we get done with the repairs today I'm going to reprogram the controller, split the 28 zones into two programs and run them simultaneously between 11:00 pm and 4:00 am since the system will handle it. This is undoubtedly the worse case of vandalism I've ever run into.

9. PurpHaze

Final score on vandalism: 107 sprinklers replaced, 57 TVAN nozzles, 20 MP-Rotator sprinkler/nozzles, 24 total man hours. Total parts cost was $861.36.

10. Critical Care

Critical Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I'm not sure if I understood just how many heads were vandalized by that little twerp. If I read that correctly, that kid was pretty busy.

What, no vandal resistant R-50s???