July 4th Shindawi T-230 Javelin toss

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by captken, Jul 8, 2003.

1. captken

captken LawnSite Bronze Member

It was down on power and rpms. Cleaned muffler, air cleaner, changed plug, adjusted throttle. Nothing helped. Constant porblems using it in the July heat, so I gave it the old heave ho. Broke the carb off at the spacer.
    Took it into dealer for repair, 5 days for parts delivery.
    So I bought a t-270 to use now.
    I am impressed with my old t-27. The fuel tank and lines and carb appear to be the only difference between the two. Never had any problems with that model.

However, the t-27 has way more power and rpms???probably needs tuning.
    Paid 350+tax.
    Is that a good price?

Will repair the 230 to use again, as I like it's light weight.

2. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I've tossed other equipment, but never a T230 :D If they ever give me any problems, I just remember how good they've been ;) The good news is, you probably needed a new carb anyway :D

T270 for $350 sounds like a really good deal. They go for list around here...about $420.

3. captken

I plan on fixing the t-230. I bought the carb rebuild kit. Do you think it is worth rebuilding, or should I just buy the new carb. I believe they quoted me a price of 50. for the new carb.

4. Gravely_Man

Gravely_Man LawnSite Silver Member

I have had a few occasions when rebuilding a carb it just doesn't work well and a new one clears the problem right up. Since you have the kit start with that and go from there. Best of luck to you.

Gravely_Man

5. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

I personally would buy the carb. I have had mixed result rebuilding them, and if you let the dealer rebuild it the labor will be as much as a new carb anyway. For reference, J. Thomas shows the carb being about $38. Usually dealers aren't much higher on stuff like that. Just be glad it wasn't the TK like on the 260 and 270, they cost almost double.

6. HarryD

HarryD LawnSite Bronze Member

7. cos

cos LawnSite Addict

I have tossed a trimer down and stomped on it with people looking. Man, that had to be a funny moment for them.

8. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

I've heard stories at the lawn mower shop I used to go to that the owner threw a BIG customer's chainsaw out the shop window onto the sidewalk.

9. captken

I really regret that I threw it, I was using it instead of the T-27 [my choice to use] because of an new employee flooding it, fouling the plug numerous times, and me having to stop to "fix" it.
    So he was using the 27, running the pro manual feed head and NOT wearing his safety glasses after I'd told him repeatedly that day to wear them. I got fed up with him in the summer heat, and threw the dang thing to make a point. He must have got the message, as now when he forgets he doesn't have them on, he stops the trimmer to find his glasses. What we all go through to train people.
    After that day, we went to Bartlett Small Engines and I bought him a new pair of more "stylish" looking safety glasses in hope he will want to wear them, with a sunglass tint.
    I will properly repair the 230, as it offers excellent performance in a light weight package. I got the kit for the carb, and like others, had mixed luck in the past using them. A new carb if the rebuild doesn't work is in the plan.
    Also
    I had complained of the lackluster performance of the new T-270, and attributed it to tuning, However once the factory string on the bump-n-feed head was used up, I promptly took it off and installed the low profile manual feed head.
    The power I've come to expect on the 27 was there on the new 270...now I got 2 awesome trimmers. However, I can convert the old 27 to a brush cutter if I want, and when my 230 is repaired, still have two fine string trimmers. hmmm.....I've wanted a dedicated brush cutter for a while now.........:) Has anyone tried the factory conversion yet?