July - spike in business

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Gr grass n Hi tides, Aug 1, 2003.

1. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

Anybody else experience a spike in business during July?

Man, I just landed a great account smack in the middle of LCO alley - there's three of them within 1/4 mile of this residence & the client told me she couldn't get a return call from one guy and another never showed. I mean, she's going for the whole thing thing - mowing, fert, aeration this fall, and open to other improvement ideas.

Also, twice this week I was approached by people while I was in the middle of mowing a current client asking me to take of them & now they are both weeklys.

I've got some more gigs via phone book too.

For me, this is big fish.

If you're a new guy/gal out there thinking it's too late in the year to start, I say that is NOT true & go for it!!!

2. GLAN

GLAN Banned

All season has been like that for us.

Start a big landscape in a ritzy area tomorrow. Start another building Monday.

I have landscapes lined up for the fall, any new requests in the fall will most likely be waved till spring.

This is all in house. Not in 3 years have I had to do work outside my customer base.

3. Gr grass n Hi tides

Gr grass n Hi tides LawnSite Bronze Member

That is where I want to be. I'd like to yank my "big" yellow page ad, maybe as early as next year (but leave in the line ad). The referrals really are the very best.

4. turkp15

turkp15 LawnSite Member

In the last three weeks my bus. has really picked up first I got a shrub job from some apartments that was like $815. Then I got another shrub job this week and I picked up another account today. To top it all off I've only been in business 2 months and just bought my first commercial mower.

~Jeff

5. xpnd

xpnd LawnSite Senior Member

Picked up five new accounts in July and need to bid one very high end res. job this weekend that called two days ago. The house if you can call it that has a rotunda in it. Sweet. Of course this follows on the heels of two months plus of no new work. There are a lot of unemployed white collar family men out there working for peanuts just trying to get enough money to feed their family or stay in their house or keep their vehicle. When they are offerring to get abused for half or less of my qouted price, the customers aren't stupid. But for my area the June uneployemnt figures showed a .5% frop from last year and some of these guys are finding out this is tough work in 105+ temps, the reliable MTD mower and Wally World combo trimmer they used at home is falling apart or they are missing their schedule because they have to do to much work in a day to make money. I will be here nexy year but they won't

6. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

Glad you are all seeing a spike in bussiness. I have been forced to keep my personal accounts very low key this season simply for the reason that my 2 other jobs take up all my time, also for the reason that I do not yet have a vehicle nor am i able to drive.:(

Oh well, I guess I will just have to slowly chip away @ the rock and hit it hard next year.

Best of luck to everyone else who is thriving

7. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

July was kind of a let down for us. Mostly because of the transition that went sour and left us without a landscaping maintenance manager so we lost around $2,100 in landscaping.

But compared to last July we had a 217% increase.

8. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

We have picked up 9 nice accounts in the last 3 weeks.
    I just asked my brother last night,"What's up with this in the middle of the season?" (told him he's a great salesman,but there coming to us not us going to them)

9. Live4Mowin'

Live4Mowin' LawnSite Member

Do you mow a lot of lawns in your neighborhood because you sure have a lot of equipment.

10. Live4Mowin'

Live4Mowin' LawnSite Member