1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Jumpin Curbs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Eng Mwr Guy, Mar 14, 2001.

1. Eng Mwr Guy

Eng Mwr Guy Gravely Manufacturer

Hello all:

50 inch Walkbehind:

I was wondering how big a deal the front end weight is. The machine in question would be a 50 inch floating with a special feature but is a little....actually a lot front heavy.

Would this preclude you from buying it?

Is this a big deal to you? Would you go up 8 inch curbs backwards?

2. joshua

joshua LawnSite Bronze Member

how heavy is the w/b? 8 inch curbs would hard to go up backwards if you ask me. i would try going up frontwards, once you get the front end up it will take alittle strenght but you will have to pipck up the back a tad bit and help it up. i've done it before but never on a curb that big, i would be worried about gauging the lawn when i did it. you might want to try making a little ramp maybe 4 feet long and carrying it with you when you do that lawn. hope this helps.
  3. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

The front weight is of major importance to me. I only use walkbehinds where the Lazer will not fit. This sometimes means curbs. It is already a difficult task, but add all that weight to it really would discourge me.
  4. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

I lift the front of my current Toro 44" WB many times during a mowing by pushing down on the handle bar from the operators position. Doing this is essential during a regular day to avoid objects, get around into tight spots, avoid scalping, etc... I would think if the front is too heavy to lift by pushing down from the control end, then the usefullness of the WB would decrease. It would be just like trying to use a rider and it might as well be one. So, I think the front must be controlable in my above example.

I have never taken my Toro walk behind backwards over a curb. I use a small 4x4 as a mini ramp. Just lay it against the curb, push down and raise the front casters off the ground and drive forward until the rear drive tires hit the 4x4 and effectively jump the curb. So, in my method, the heavier the front the more difficult this would be.

5. LScom Addict

LScom Addict LawnSite Member

I agree with Scott that there are many who have to be able to manuever these machines in and out of tight spots. I too am one of these people. As for the curb issue at hand, I push down on the grips to lift the front end of the mower. Then I drive up to the curb so that the rear of the cutting deck is against the curb. At this point I will use the front end as the fulcrum and then apply a gentle lift with the wheels engaged. Once Im on the lawn, its time to mow. This might sound like alot of work, but I try to stay off of driveways for we have alot of wet mowing conditions here.
  6. Acute Cut

Acute Cut LawnSite Senior Member

Yall are crazy. My dad always taught me to work smarter, not harder. I went and manufactured two ramps to exact curb height from some expanded medal (The kind they use for ramps and stairs and such)(NOT GRATES) and then i put some legs on the back of them to get the righ height. Pretty soon i am going to make a spot that they can sit in by my wheel well so that they double as steps. I will try and pic and post for yall.

Acute Cut
  7. LScom Addict

LScom Addict LawnSite Member

Not to be rude, but if you are going to critque I will add mine. You should have taken your father's advice and put it to work in school. You wouldn't have so many grammatical error's when posting replies. Just my observation about working smarter. :)
  8. Eng Mwr Guy

Thank You for your responses. I will go back to the drawing board to get the front lighter.

Thank You!

9. Skookum

Skookum LawnSite Senior Member

Your the engineer, but maybe the front of your design is not that heavy from a rear wheel pivotal lift. I know from the use of leverage through physics, that my Toro 44" is heavier and harder to lift from the front than raising the front by pushing down at the operators position.

Maybe engine position would help. I know my Toro ZTR is real light to lift from the front due to the position of the rear mounted engine.

Hey, can we get some Graverly discount coupons or something for helping out?

Good luck!
  10. Eng Mwr Guy

Hats & t-shirts are possibly within my shpere of influence.

The engine, hydro tank, wheels will be moved.