Jumping a mower

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by springman26, Apr 21, 2005.

1. springman26

springman26 LawnSite Member

Is there any reason I can't jump start a Poulan lawn tractor with my Hustler Super Z? The tractor is in a tough spot to get at and I don't wanna try and push it out.

2. procut

procut LawnSite Bronze Member

No reason not to. I've jumped mowers off each other many times.

3. David Grass

David Grass LawnSite Senior Member

I have jumped cars off, with my mower, and have jumped my mower off with my car.

4. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

I tried jumping my truck with my mower once.....I landed right on the roof. :rolleyes:

5. cantoo

cantoo LawnSite Silver Member

springman26, you had me going for a minute there. I thought Fareway had changed his name again and was talking about his all girl mowing team.
    I would just carry a car battery to wherever the mower is and jump it. No need to worry about doing damage to anything other than the Poulan or the battery.

6. Mower For Less

Mower For Less LawnSite Senior Member

LOL, thats what I was thinking when I read the title of the post.

Kevin

7. stumper1620

stumper1620 LawnSite Bronze Member

get yourself a portable jump box from sears or TSC for 39 bucks, you'll wonder how you got by without it, I carry my jump box in the truck and use it on a very regular basis. never know when you need it for yourself or others.
    just end up with a dead battery in a back yard once.

8. MOW ED

MOW ED LawnSite Fanatic

I wouldn't try jumping anything with my Walker as it has the EFI computer but I just recently had to jump my truck with my Toro WB. I was amazed that it actually worked. You should be able to jump your tractor with the Super Z easily.

9. Mickhippy

Mickhippy LawnSite Platinum Member

Got a flat car bat at the pub a few years ago. Got mate to jump from pub fork lift. Fried cables and farked the bat right up! Got melted rubber off cables over my hands getting them off the battery. Yes, worse than candle wax!(sick buggers! :rolleyes: )

Point is! Dont do this stuff really REALLY pizzed! :p :dizzy:

Oh, thats right talking bout mowers. Can do it with even EFI engines but theres a tecnique. Something like pos to pos from the sourse. Then neg to earth (engine block) or something. Correct me if wrong as its been a while!

10. greendave

greendave LawnSite Member

Ok guys, here's the scoop: ANYTIME you jumper ANYTHING be aware that the voltage spike can fry electronics. To eliminate that possibility, FIRST shut off the donor vehicle if you're going to use one. Connect positive to positive on the batteries, negative to donor battery, and finally, negative to a block or bracket ground NOT close to the battery being jumped. Batteries emit gas which is explosive, you don't want a spark! THEN start the donor vehicle and let it idle for a few moments to bring the other battery up to voltage. Then you can raise the speed on the donor engine to charge up the other battery. Wait a few minutes, then try starting the 'dead' unit. Once it's running you can disconnect the jumpers in the reverse order. A jumper pack is safer, since the voltage potential is less. By the way, don't drive your late model GM vehicle to charge a dead or questionable battery, you WILL FRY the diodes in the alternator, they are notoriously weak!