jumping curbs

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by verant, Oct 2, 2007.

1. verant

verant LawnSite Senior Member

is it possible to jump curbs with a zero turn. The deck lifts to 5" high. Will the deck get hung up or not? How do you do it, never tried im my 3 years of running one
  2. Liberty Lawn & Landscape

Liberty Lawn & Landscape LawnSite Member

There should be recomendations from the manufacturer. I have a Wright Z and climb over curbs by backing up to the curb at a sharp angle. This is what the manual recommended. It works for me.
  3. Lordtimothy

Lordtimothy LawnSite Member

Well yes it is possible to jump curbs.........however if you wish to keep your lawn mower in operational shape, might want to climb over the curbs slowly. Depends on how you go over the curbs, for the most part even if the deck drags a bit it won't do any damage to either the curb or the mower. Poping one wheel at a time over the curb is the best way. Backing up at a sharp angle is probley the easiest on the mower.

4. tomo

tomo LawnSite Senior Member

hello , jumping curbs at other than crawling speed will do damage to the wheel motor eventually .Typical is loose /brken mounting bolts and the worst case is u break the """dog bone shaft"" inside the wheel motor . U might think no problems but a broken shaft will spread metal particles throughout hydraulics . As u can image a full overhaul is required .Very very costly !!

PS this is where a split hydraulic system is a good feature to have
  5. Two Seasons

Two Seasons LawnSite Senior Member

I finally had to jump in. There is a better way, because eventually you will cause damage to your pumps and motors just by jumping curbs.

We ordered these http://www.discountramps.com/images/shed-ramps-3.jpg and they work great for walkbehinds as well as our Scag TT, which weighs 1300 # alone. For a little over $100 they are worth every penny.
  6. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

The Walker mowers come with a ramp for curbs, but we just built one and placed it at our feet while we are on the mower. This prevents pre-mature maintenance needs and down-time. It's one more reason the guys have to get on their feet (which I know is soooo difficult when on a rider), but it has saved us a lot in upkeep.
  7. sildoc

sildoc LawnSite Silver Member

We carry 2-2x12x12 to toss down and decrease the angle and slipping. costs maybe a couple of bucks.
  8. mythntr

mythntr LawnSite Member

Walker makes a curb jumper that sitts on the deck. You can put your feet on it and its real comfortable. When you get to a curb, just pick it up and toss it against the curb. its 4 ft wide and made out of plastic so it doest weigh anything. When i come off the curb, i can just lean down, pick it up, and throw it on the deck
  9. ed2hess

ed2hess LawnSite Fanatic

I drilled a hole in one end and added a loop of kevlar tiedown so I could easily pick them up with my trash pickup tool....too old to bend down to get them I guess. I only use one to get one front tire up....guess maybe I should think about 2 so both rear tires has an easier jump.