Jumping In-Has it worked?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by precisioncut, Dec 2, 2003.

1. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

How many of you out there have just "jumped" into your operation? I mean when you first started out. Did anyone just go in full-time with no client base and hope it worked out? Asking because I'm thinking of it but I don't want to lose everything I've had to work so hard for (new house, car, wife LOL). My original plan is to start small going part-time until I can make a smooth transition into full-time. Give me some ideas, success stories, not so good stories, whatever. :dizzy:

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

My accounts I have now are from when I was a neighbor boy mowing lawns. So I didn't just jump into it. It took me a long time to get the GREAT accounts that I have now. I feel that you can get the accounts, but it's the great accounts that matter.

3. bayfish

bayfish LawnSite Senior Member

I started in 1992 as a part time operation mowing only and went full time this year. I have been amazed at what I did'nt know. I did have a small client base, but I have constantly, almost daily come up against something totally new. I'm at a point in my life where I really don't have to do all this, but its what I want to do because I'm my own boss for the first time and I want the challenge of building a successful business and I love this type of work. These lawn care guys are a very wiley bunch, so be aggressive but don't think your going to jump in and blow everybody away. They know what their doing and you may soon find out that you don't.
    On the other hand, I've doubled what I thought I would gross this year, but its been a lot of late nights in the office working on bids, researching methods and procedures, racking my brain for an angle, but loved every minute of it.

My 2 cents.

P.S. the day work is hard too.

4. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

Yes, jumped right in without a single account.
    Quit both our jobs at the end of a February.
    Started targeting neighborhoods in March.
    Never looked back.

5. voglernut

voglernut LawnSite Member

jumped right in. i had no accounts. i got laid off last feb and have been wanting to do this for years. i financed a mower, bought a weedeater and blower and went for it. i haven't regretted it. nothing like working for yourself. good luck.

6. NCSULandscaper

NCSULandscaper Banned

Finished college, jumped right in with no accounts but had my equipment.

7. olderthandirt

olderthandirt LawnSite Platinum Member
    from here

Jump right in had to quit a good job [Ford] but knew what I wanted to do. No it was not easy at first but as yrs. go by its "starting" to.

8. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

9. KerryB

KerryB LawnSite Senior Member

Lost my job due to a buy out. So I just jumped right in.
    Dont start with homeowner equipment. I did. It took all of 1 month to realize what a mistake that was. Bought my Lazer and havent looked back.

10. Barkleymut

Barkleymut LawnSite Bronze Member

June 1st, 1998 I quit my job at a bank and became a full time lawnboy. A new 98 Ram 1500, a 5x10 trailer, a new 36" lesco mower, an Echo trimmer, and a poulan handheld blower. Zero experience and no clue what I was doing. My wife had a great job and we were young so I went for it. I just finished my 6th season and I'm glad I made the jump. First year I basically broke even because I bought a new aerator and paid for the mower outright. I also bought a lot of hand tools, spreaders, etc. Ever since the profits have grown pretty well. I'm making more than 2x what I made at the bank. PS-Banks don't pay that well, all the money is in the vault.