1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Jumping in Headfirst

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by turfproinc, Dec 9, 2002.

1. turfproinc

turfproinc LawnSite Member

I have decided to do this full time this spring. I am going to work it alone initially. What equipment do ya'll recommend would be the best to start out with, considering power, cut, fuel efficiency and ease of maintenance. Also, any pearls of wisdom to pass along? I really appreciate any advice. Thanks in advance.
  2. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

Well, let's start from the beginning. What do you have that you're working with now? How much can you spend? We can go from there.
  3. 1MajorTom

1MajorTom Senior Moderator

What size properties will you be servicing?
  4. turfproinc

Heh heh. I have no equipment. I am starting this from scratch. I have used my father-in-law's Gravely but I want something with a bagger. I would like to spend around $5-$6K initially on a good used mower, and have seen Grasshopper's and Walker's for that price in this area.

BTW, I am not foolish enough to not know what to expect in this business. However, I intend to make a go of it and would like some thoughts on what a good start-up package would be for a one man crew hoping to do around 40 lawns a week.

Or I could learn the hard way, like most of you probably did. Thanks in advance.
  5. bobbygedd

bobbygedd LawnSite Fanatic
    from NJ

what came first, the chicken, or the egg? i would first see how many customers i could get, property sizes, etc.
  6. Turf Technologies

Turf Technologies LawnSite Senior Member
    from Florida

Why spend 5- 6k on a used machine , when you can get a new lesco Wb for $3399. 48/17 kaw or a 52/19 kaw for $100 more.And save yourself a few k.Just an idea.
  7. turfproinc

I'll check out the new machine, as I am unfamiliar with that brand and its availability in Northwest Arkansas.

IRT # of properties and size, I plan on residential lawns only this season and target 40-50 lawns of 1 acre or less.
  8. McKeeLand

McKeeLand LawnSite Senior Member

I think thats going to happen reguardless, but this site is definatly going to help you. i wish this site was around when i first started.
    one peice of advise, only buy what you need and do your best to get by with that. don't buy a piece of equipment because all the other guys have it. they have it because they worked their way up to it and have the work to pay for it. stick to that and you'll stay out of debt.
  9. SIG

SIG LawnSite Member

Before you take the advice to buy a walk-behind, be realistic. If you buy a ride-on type mower (Lazer, Walker, Grasshopper, or whatever) you will have alot more flexability with the kind of work you can take on. Let's say for instance you plan on mowing only 1 acre lawns. You are doing good work and the guy down the street wants to hire you, but he has 3 acre property. Do you want to mow a 3 acre lawn with a walkbehind every week, I doubt it. Walk-behinds have their place, but as your main machine I suggest a Zero-turn. I have been both routes (walk-behinds and Z's and I will never go back to walkbehinds). The extra money you may spend on the Z will be made up by the fact that you will be able to work longer and faster. Remember it's not always 70 degress outside, it's gets hot and humid and you will be miserable come July. Of course this is just one guys opinion!!!

Good Luck
  10. Mykster

Mykster LawnSite Senior Member

That's so true. I was almost one of those people.